Using parameters to create variable number of drop down options

One of our users wants to create a more user-friendly drop down for filtering data in a dashboard.

The filter controls the end date of our sprint, which is every two weeks. These sprints also have a corresponding name which is a string format “g-yyyy.mm.dd”.

We want the filter to default to the most recent completed sprint (most recent end date already passed). We also want the filter to be controlled by a drop down. I can’t update this every week to have the newest sprint in it. I think we could probably do it so it is the past 4 trailing.

However, is there a way to make it so it just has every sprint end date starting with most recent in the drop down?

Alas, as far as I’m aware, there’s no way to dynamically generate allowed_values for parameters, and we also don’t allow the use of liquid in allowed values.

I’m curious if anyone has figured out a way to do this, though— @samiyabroudi, was this something covered by your LookML generator?

It is! See Ro's LookML Autogeneration System (headline “Automatic Parameter Lists”)

Just filter to the last 2 weeks and it will pickup only the last sprint date.

1 Like