SMTP Custom Settings

When I try to setup custom mail settings and then save the password is not saved so when I test there is no passward used…If I type in the pwd and click test before saving then it works.

Is there something I am doing wrong ?

0 8 859
8 REPLIES 8

I think this may be functioning as intended on the backend and just be a UI issue. You must enter your password every time you want to send a test, but the fact that it instantly blanks it out is confusing and makes it seem like the password isn’t saving at all.

If you just save without testing, do email schedules still work? That would be the real test to see if this is actually not saving the password.

We have a UI bug open for this but it’s not very high priority as the actual functionality is working as intended. I’ve tagged this post to our internal record so this post will be updated with any progress. Please let us know if schedules aren’t sending either, in which case this may be something else.

Yes I have found the pwd is actually being saved. The problem that remains is that I cannot get the following in the reply SSIMWAVE noreply@ssimwave.com as I cannot setup SSIMWAVE in the FROM and noreply as the user/pwd. I was able to setup SSIMWAVE noreply@ssimwave.com as the from and test successfully but no scheduled emails were sent likely due to the doc note about special chars in the FROM other than the @ sign We are using smtp-relay.gmail.com as the server…I have been in conversation with Danielle but no solution has come up. everything works with noreply@ssimwave.com as the FROM but missing the nice SSIMWAVE part like you have for Looker noreply@looker.com

I think there are a couple problems in the UI:

pwd gets blanked out on save.
TEXT test@test.com and doing a test works fine but doc say you cannot have special chars in the FROM field so emails are not sent

It looks like you’re trying to add both the “Name” and the email address in the From: box which would not work.
It sounds like you said it worked when you added the email address in the From: box, but I’m curious what your user name was in that case— Just “noreply”? I’d give these example settings a shot:
user name: noreply@ssimwave.com

Corresponding example image from our docs showing the “Name” in From and the email in User Name:

I’m admittedly not an SMTP master so I think working with Support (sounds like you already are) is probably the best way forward here— But definitely update us on what the solution is.

I tried SSIMWAVE in the FROM and does not work with smtp-relay.gmail.com the test does not work either FROM: SSIMWAVE noreply@ssimwave.com does test properly but does not work on schedule ie) no emails sent…it really should not validate because of the <> as per the documentation.

SSIMWAVE noreply@ssimwave.com does work in the from field when I change the email server to smtp.gmail.com

Regards,

I’ve been testing this, and it all seems to be working as intended for me— You seem to have been right about the way to set it all up. I think the best course of action would be to reach back out to Looker Support and see if they can explore the logs of your instance and understand why the emails are not getting sent. They’d be the best resource to help with the logs!

@mlantink Did you figure out how to get it to work with smtp-relay.gmail.com?