Selectively hiding filters in an embedded report

We need to pull just a few filters outside of the Looker frame to support constraints in our application and maintain continuity with other apps in our suite. The parameters from those filters will be injected into the embedded Look.

We want to hide those filters within the embedded Looker UI but retain their filtering ability and display the other filters that we aren’t implementing in our own UI.

Forgive my terminology if anything sounds wrong there. I’m hunting on behalf of our Engineering dept, not actually developing this myself.

Hey David,

Thanks for your question. Generally, filters for embedded Looks will not be shown if only the Look is embedded. I can let the product team know you’d like to be able to selectively show those filters to the end user.

It would be possible to embed that Look as the only tile on a dashboard. Then you could have Dashboard filters for the ones you want the End User to see.

Reach out to help.looker.com if you have any questions.

Spencer

Maybe I’m using the wrong term …

We have embedded Looker dashboards and reports with filters and export functionality included in the Looker UI. This is wrapped in our app’s basic framework. In addition to navigation and account tools, we also had to add three filters outside the embedded Looker UI.

We want to hide those three filters within the embedded Looker UI but keep other Looker filtering capabilities.

We have the same use case. Our application uses custom filters that were developed by us. The custom filters sit outside the looker iFrame and we use Lookers JavaScript Embed Events to communicate those custom filter values back to the Iframe.

In the documentation, it states that you can pass a show_filters param in the url, but we have not been successful with that (Looker also told us that it doesn’t work).

However, there is an easier option on the embed settings itself called ‘show filters.’ The only drawback is you can’t selectively hide the filters. It’s an all or nothing option (to my knowledge).

This should give you what you want (if I’m understanding the question correctly).

Thanks Marc, that’s correct.

The best way to Hide filters is to use the Show Filters toggle in the Edit Embed Settings Options and I can confirm the show_filters param does not work in the URL.

Marc is also correct in that we cannot choose which filters to hide, it is all or nothing. I’ll let the product team know you’d like to be able to do this in a future release.

Reach out to help.looker.com if there are additional questions we can answer.

Thanks,

Spencer

Thanks for the clarification @Marc_Wilson @swhite :+1:

We’re moving toward fully customized filters within our UI, so a little short-term pain is manageable.