Returning "Java::JavaLang::NullPointerException" error instead of "Query Cancelled" Message

bug
i__looker

(Holly) #1

I ran into this error when looking at Error logs:

Java::JavaLang::NullPointerException:

explore URL, replace "your.looker.com"

https://your.looker.com/explore/i__looker/history?fields=history.created_time,user.name,query.view,query.link,history.message&f[history.message]="Java%3A%3AJavaLang%3A%3ANullPointerException%3A"&f[history.source]=Dashboard%2CExplore&f[history.status]=error&f[user.dev_mode]=No&sorts=history.created_time+desc&limit=500&column_limit=50&query_timezone=America%2FLos_Angeles&vis={"type"%3A"table"%2C"show_view_names"%3Afalse%2C"stacking"%3A""%2C"show_value_labels"%3Afalse%2C"label_density"%3A25%2C"legend_position"%3A"center"%2C"x_axis_gridlines"%3Afalse%2C"y_axis_gridlines"%3Atrue%2C"y_axis_combined"%3Atrue%2C"show_y_axis_labels"%3Atrue%2C"show_y_axis_ticks"%3Atrue%2C"y_axis_tick_density"%3A"default"%2C"y_axis_tick_density_custom"%3A5%2C"show_x_axis_label"%3Atrue%2C"show_x_axis_ticks"%3Atrue%2C"x_axis_scale"%3A"auto"%2C"ordering"%3A"none"%2C"show_null_labels"%3Afalse%2C"show_row_numbers"%3Atrue%2C"truncate_column_names"%3Afalse%2C"hide_totals"%3Afalse%2C"hide_row_totals"%3Afalse%2C"table_theme"%3A"editable"%2C"limit_displayed_rows"%3Afalse}&filter_config={"history.message"%3A[{"type"%3A"%3D"%2C"values"%3A[{"constant"%3A"Java%3A%3AJavaLang%3A%3ANullPointerException%3A+"}%2C{}]%2C"id"%3A8%2C"error"%3Afalse}]%2C"history.source"%3A[{"type"%3A"is"%2C"values"%3A[{"constant"%3A"Dashboard"}%2C{}]%2C"id"%3A1%2C"error"%3Afalse}%2C{"type"%3A"is"%2C"values"%3A[{"constant"%3A"Explore"}%2C{}]%2C"id"%3A7%2C"error"%3Afalse}]%2C"history.status"%3A[{"type"%3A"%3D"%2C"values"%3A[{"constant"%3A"error"}%2C{}]%2C"id"%3A2%2C"error"%3Afalse}]%2C"user.dev_mode"%3A[{"type"%3A"is"%2C"values"%3A[{"constant"%3A"No"}%2C{}]%2C"id"%3A5%2C"error"%3Afalse}]}&dynamic_fields=[]

The error itself doesn’t make much sense, but what we’ve come to conclude is that this error message seems to happen when a user cancels a query, by means of navigating away from a running Dashboard or Explore. This message should probably say something to the regards of “query cancelled” instead.

To my knowledge this is a known bug. I couldn’t find it here on discourse, so thought it would be important to note for other users who might be unaware.

Null Pointer Exception Java NullPointerException Looker error history

(aleks) #2

Hi @hgrod

Thanks for pointing that out! I will speak to our product team to improve that message so it’s clearer for the users.

Best,
Aleks