RETIRED: Table Calculations (3.18 Labs Feature)

(Robert Ellman) #14

Abby,

Will that also be available for row totals? It’s a constant bit of friction when creating Pie charts (or donut multiples) to go in and exclude the totals which otherwise take precisely 50% of the visualization.

0 Likes

@abbywest Perfect, thanks!

0 Likes

(Abby West) #16

@Robert_Ellman - Unfortunately no, right now this will only work for fields from the field picker or table calculations.

0 Likes

(Robert Ellman) #17

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for 3.28 :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Sean MacRae) #18

Hi @abbywest,

I’m wondering if there is a way to apply table calculations column-wise or row-wise. Currently, my table calculations are applied to the entire results dataset, for example:

${users.count} / sum(${users.count}),

uses all ‘users.count’ cells in the calc, however if I have a pivot table and want to show the percentage relative to each row (in lieu of relative to the entire table) then the table calculation would need to group by one of the pivot dimensions.

I hope that makes sense, let me know if I can clarify anything.

0 Likes

(Abby West) #19

Hi @macrae - for rows, you should be able to use offset and for columns, some combination of pivot_index and/or pivot_offset may suffice.

Here is documentation on offsets and documentation on pivot_index.

I hope those help!

0 Likes

(Chris) #20

Thanks for the info! Super helpful

0 Likes

(Claudia) #21

Thanks @abbywest, your answer is helping me over a year later!

1 Like

(Razwan Baber) #22

Thanks for this!

0 Likes

(Fehrmann) #23

Nice feature!

0 Likes

(Anton Beckerman) #24

Def will give it a try

0 Likes

(Ari Stern) #25

is there a way to make table calcs run faster?

0 Likes

(Paola) #26

Hey @Ari_Stern , we’re always working on making Looker faster. If you have a specific case where table calculations aren’t running as fast as you’d hope them to, feel free to send us an email at support@looker.com with your specific example so we can take a look!

0 Likes

(Nick Brown) #27

Table calculations are great. 1 thing I’d love to be able to have is some sort of totalling feature on table calculations.

0 Likes

(sam) #28

Duly noted @nick - I’ll pass your feedback along to the product team!

0 Likes

(Vishesh Dahate) #29

hello everyone ,
nice to know about this new technology,
i am a recruiter in mastech and i have an opening for a BI (Dashboard/Reporting Consultant)
Looking for a Looker expert with 0 to 1 year exp on Looker.
its a sure shot offer as the looker experts are hard to find.
please reply with your email or contact number.

regards,
vishesh

0 Likes

Will we ever be able to produce table calculation if function with different type of object outcomes? For example, the outcome could be a number or a string?

0 Likes

(Zachary Michel) #31

@vishesh_dahate may I recommend your post be moved to our hiring board, https://discourse.looker.com/c/news/whos-hiring

0 Likes

(Zachary Michel) #32

@ajlooker Based on how sorting works in the application it would be difficult to return two different types of data in one column (numeric vs. alphanumeric sort). I’m curious what your problem is that is provoking the question though, as there may be some other workaround available.

0 Likes

(Anna Van Meurs) #33

Hello! I have a question - why do some of my calculations appear before my Count? I notice that these calcs end up not showing in my visualization (ie bar graph). I can’t seem to reorder the columns (of calcs).

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Likes