[RETIRED] Quickly install custom visualizations for on-prem installations

customvisualization

(Brecht Vermeire) #1

This method has been deprecated. New custom visualisations can be found in this Github repository.

(Daniel Appelgren) #2

Hi

I tried with a clean install (i.e. nothing in /visualizations) and then ran your script for the sankey chart.

It’s installing everything OK, and the chart works in Looker. However, when I try to download a .png image of the chart, or send it as a mail with visualization, I get the following error. Do you know what it can be? (I added line breaks between the commas to make it easier to read)

Target page generated a JavaScript error:
looker.common.action_form,
looker.api,
looker.app,
looker.common.image_uploader,
looker.common.sorts,
looker.sql,
looker.common.track,
angular-clipboard,
cfp.hotkeys,
colorpicker.module,
looker.angular_late_loading,
looker.common.accessibility,
looker.common.chat_button,
looker.common.click,
looker.common.data_confirm,
looker.common.docs_link,
looker.common.encode_uri_component,
looker.common.focus,
looker.common.jsonp,
looker.common.login,
looker.common.message,
looker.common.ng_click,
looker.common.page_loader,
looker.common.pretty_hotkey,
looker.common.query,
looker.common.refresh_chooser,
looker.common.simple_modal,
looker.common.sentence_maker,
looker.common.server_error,
looker.common.session_timeout,
looker.common.slipstream,
looker.common.space_tree_picker,
looker.common.spinner,
looker.common.utils,
ngAria,
ngResource,
ngSanitize,
ui.bootstrap,
ui.select,
ui.sortable,
looker.browse,
looker.common.action_form,
looker.common.tabs,
looker.common.vis_element,
looker.dashboards,
looker.common.drill,
looker.embed,
looker.dataflux.explore,
looker.look_errors,
looker.projects,
looker.render,
looker.spaces,
looker.stories,
looker.styleguide,
looker.upload,
looker.merge,
looker.visualizations undefined

Here’s the content of the plugins/visualizations directory:
d3.sankey.js
d3.v4.js
download_viz.sh
examples
sankey.js
utils.js
vega.min.js

(Aleksandrs Vedernikovs) #3

Hi @daniel.appelgren,

This is a known issue, Schedules/downloads fail for content that uses custom-vis. Our Eng team is aware of an issue and working on the resolution.

Best,

Sasha

(Bryan Boutwell) #4

Downloaded the visualizations and made sure they were all in the correct folder, but none of them are showing up as an option in Looker. How do I use them in Looker once they have been added?

(sami.rubenfeld) #5

Hi Bryan,

I would follow the suggestion of brecht and run chmod 777, making the file readable, writable and executable by everyone. Once the permissions are correctly set, the additional visualization options should appear as follows in the visualization tab:

(Bryan Boutwell) #6

Hi Sami. I did that, cleared my cache and restarted Looker, and none of the new visualizations show up :frowning:

(sami.rubenfeld) #7

Hi Bryan,

Checked our license server and enabled the feature for you. Can you please go into the Admin > General panel and next to license key hit “Update”?

Thanks!

Sami

(Ian) #8

whats the latest with this?
Thanks

(Brecht Vermeire) #9

Currently working on bringing custom visualisations to all hosted Lookers as well, part of that is to avoid any breakage by PhantomJS when rendering. No major updates at the moment, but expect this to land in the next few months. @IanT

(Bryan Boutwell) #10

Awesome, that worked! Is getting my license updated each time I want to utilize a new feature something that I will need to do every time?

(sami.rubenfeld) #11

Hi Bryan,

For features that do require license enablement, you will have to hit the “Update” button to reflect the changes made after access is granted.

Cheers,

Sami

(Bryan Boutwell) #12

Thank you Sami. Of course, as soon as I told people about these awesome new charts they started adding them to dashboards that are sent out on schedules. I have a little training to do it seems. Is there any update on when including these custom visualizations will be able to be sent via email on schedules?

(Ian) #13

yeh we have had to hold off putting them on our instance as we knew this would happen and so it would be worse than not having it at all!

(Aleksandrs Vedernikovs) #14

Hey @IanT & @bryanfboutwell,

This is something that we are aware of and working on resolving but no updates as to when would that be fully operational. We are in the process of improving our visualisations but no set timeline at the moment.

Best,

Sasha

@IanT @bryanfboutwell @daniel.appelgren Currently, custom visualizations and their dependencies (like utils.js and d3v4.js) need to be written in ES5 to work with PhantomJS. Code can easily be converted with a tool like Babel: https://babeljs.io/repl/. Looker will be migrating to a different rendering engine in the near future which should fix this issue.

(Ian) #16

Thanks for letting me know. Will take a look and see if we can continue to wait or use your suggestion.

Thanks!

(Rodrigo) #17

Hello Guys,

I just installed sankey viz (and its dependencies d3v4, d3.sankey and utils) but when I try to visualize it, it shows nothin but a blank space.

Am I missing some dependency ?

Thanks

ps: I have already successfully installed some custom viz like (boxplot and area range)

(Elliot Park) #18

Hey @gda1,

We’ve seen blank spaces appear when trying to use custom visualizations with altered JS code (note: we are not able to troubleshoot custom Javascript code). To clarify, is the Sankey code you’re using exactly the same as the code on this repo?

Elliot

(Rodrigo) #19

@Ellio

Yes! It’s the exact code from the repo you linked here