[RETIRED] Installing PhantomJS for PDF Download, Scheduling and Scheduled Visualizations

(Jules Cisek) #1

This article has been retired as the information is now in documentation on this page .

2 Likes

Scheduling Dashboards (3.18+)
Looker 3.48 Release Notes
Bug: Broken link in 3.44.8 admin
Looker 4.0 Release Notes
Looker 5.2 Extended Support Release Notes
How to schedule a visualization (3.10+)
Looker 3.14 Release Notes
Best Practices when updating your Looker Instance
Looker 5.0 Release Notes
Dashboard email layouts
(Jules Cisek) #2

note that the following reply no longer applies - the phantom developers fixed those issues (hurray!) and you are now recommended to use the latest phantomjs in your installs.

leaving this here just for reference to the old issue:

On OS X there is now a workaround to allow you to use the official 2.0 build. However, we still recommend using 1.9.8 until the PhantomJS folks have working 2.0 builds for all platforms.

0 Likes

(Josh Siegel) #3

Note also that you need to turn on the Labs feature in the admin section for version 3.14 and 3.16.

0 Likes

(Ken Yeoh) #4

Hi guys,

We’re trying to use the email scheduler to send out a couple of wide table visualizations in a dashboard that render correctly in-browser, but are cutoff in the PDF or inline HTML.

Is there any way to hardcode a config file for phantomjs to set something like viewportSize so that we can either set the screen capture to landscape or make the default wider?

0 Likes

(Jules Cisek) #5

Hello Ken,

Currently we don’t have a way to change the viewport size. In addition, we are working on handling the tables differently in the future but even non-table visualizations could benefit from the ability to change the viewport size. We’ll definitely consider some sort of advanced option.

Out of curiosity, how many columns does your table have?

~j

0 Likes

(Ken Yeoh) #6

34 columns. It’s a monthly cohort heatmap.

0 Likes

(Yuriy) #7

On checking the version i received

Ran the following to fix it
sudo yum install fontconfig freetype libfreetype.so.6 libfontconfig.so.1 libstdc++.so.6
Reference http://linuxamination.blogspot.com/2014/04/phantomjs-error-while-loading-shared.html

2 Likes

(Jules Cisek) #8

thanks for the note and link! i’ve added this to our notes.

0 Likes

(mbazyar) #9

It doesn’t work properly on Ubuntu/Debian. In order to install the freetype package on Ubuntu/Debian, we should install the following packages:

freetype2-demos: FreeType 2 demonstration programs
freetype2-demos-dbgsym: debug symbols for package freetype2-demos
libfreetype6: FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
libfreetype6-dbgsym: debug symbols for package libfreetype6
libfreetype6-dev: FreeType 2 font engine, development files
libfreetype6-udeb: FreeType 2 font engine for the debian-installer
libfreetype6-udeb-dbgsym: debug symbols for package libfreetype6-udeb

0 Likes

(Jules Cisek) #10

We now support and recommend the 2.1.1 version of phantomjs.

0 Likes

(Artur Martins) #11

I have looker 3.48.9, phantom 2.1.1 installed and pdf activated:

$ egrep ‘Looker 3|phantom’ /home/looker/looker/log/looker.log | tail -n2
… [INFO|00fb0|render] :: phantomjs version: [2.1.1]
… [INFO|00fb0|] :: Looker 3.48.9 started successfully on port xxxx.

$ grep update_pdf /home/looker/looker/loglooker.log
… [INFO|00dd8|event:settings] :: update_pdf download & scheduling and scheduled visualizations: old_value=‘false’, new_value=‘true’

So why can’t I see any PDF download feature?

0 Likes

(Carter Moar) #12

@Artur_Martins are you not seeing the option to enable PDF downloads in Admin -> Labs or are you not seeing the “Downlad as PDF…” option when you click the gear in the upper right corner of your dashboard?

0 Likes

(Artur Martins) #13

Hi @cutler.

Dashboard! That’s was the part I did not get before. I was expecting to see that functionality also in Looks.

Working fine!

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes

(Carter Moar) #14

Excellent! I’ll also make sure to talk to our product folks about PDFs from Looks as well.

0 Likes

(Graham Kenville) #15

on Ubuntu if you get a message that libfontconfig.so.1 is missing, you can do:

sudo apt-get install libfontconfig

to fix.

0 Likes

(Satish Amarapalli) #16

Hi,

Facing an issue when checking for the phantomjs --version. Below are the issues:

phantomjs: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by phantomjs)
phantomjs: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by phantomjs) phantomjs: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: versionGLIBCXX_3.4.11’ not found (required by phantomjs)
phantomjs: /lib64/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.9' not found (required by phantomjs) phantomjs: /lib64/libc.so.6: versionGLIBC_2.10’ not found (required by phantomjs)
phantomjs: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7’ not found (required by phantomjs

Please let me know why it is causing and what action required to resolve it ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

(Aleksandrs Vedernikovs) #17

Hey @samarapalli,

What OS are you using? Seems like there is a known issue with Phantomjs 2.1 binary not working on CentOS 5 you can find more info here.

Best,

Sasha

0 Likes

(Tomas Farkas) #18

Hi, I had to fix the libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory error with this:

yum install fontconfig freetype freetype-devel fontconfig-devel libstdc++

0 Likes