Community

[RETIRED] Installing PhantomJS for PDF Download, Scheduling and Scheduled Visualizations

This article has been retired as the information is now in documentation on this page .

2 Likes

note that the following reply no longer applies - the phantom developers fixed those issues (hurray!) and you are now recommended to use the latest phantomjs in your installs.

leaving this here just for reference to the old issue:

On OS X there is now a workaround to allow you to use the official 2.0 build. However, we still recommend using 1.9.8 until the PhantomJS folks have working 2.0 builds for all platforms.

Note also that you need to turn on the Labs feature in the admin section for version 3.14 and 3.16.

Hi guys,

We’re trying to use the email scheduler to send out a couple of wide table visualizations in a dashboard that render correctly in-browser, but are cutoff in the PDF or inline HTML.

Is there any way to hardcode a config file for phantomjs to set something like viewportSize so that we can either set the screen capture to landscape or make the default wider?

Hello Ken,

Currently we don’t have a way to change the viewport size. In addition, we are working on handling the tables differently in the future but even non-table visualizations could benefit from the ability to change the viewport size. We’ll definitely consider some sort of advanced option.

Out of curiosity, how many columns does your table have?

~j

34 columns. It’s a monthly cohort heatmap.

On checking the version i received

Ran the following to fix it
sudo yum install fontconfig freetype libfreetype.so.6 libfontconfig.so.1 libstdc++.so.6
Reference http://linuxamination.blogspot.com/2014/04/phantomjs-error-while-loading-shared.html

2 Likes

thanks for the note and link! i’ve added this to our notes.

It doesn’t work properly on Ubuntu/Debian. In order to install the freetype package on Ubuntu/Debian, we should install the following packages:

freetype2-demos: FreeType 2 demonstration programs
freetype2-demos-dbgsym: debug symbols for package freetype2-demos
libfreetype6: FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
libfreetype6-dbgsym: debug symbols for package libfreetype6
libfreetype6-dev: FreeType 2 font engine, development files
libfreetype6-udeb: FreeType 2 font engine for the debian-installer
libfreetype6-udeb-dbgsym: debug symbols for package libfreetype6-udeb

We now support and recommend the 2.1.1 version of phantomjs.

I have looker 3.48.9, phantom 2.1.1 installed and pdf activated:

$ egrep ‘Looker 3|phantom’ /home/looker/looker/log/looker.log | tail -n2
… [INFO|00fb0|render] :: phantomjs version: [2.1.1]
… [INFO|00fb0|] :: Looker 3.48.9 started successfully on port xxxx.

$ grep update_pdf /home/looker/looker/loglooker.log
… [INFO|00dd8|event:settings] :: update_pdf download & scheduling and scheduled visualizations: old_value=‘false’, new_value=‘true’

So why can’t I see any PDF download feature?

@Artur_Martins are you not seeing the option to enable PDF downloads in Admin -> Labs or are you not seeing the “Downlad as PDF…” option when you click the gear in the upper right corner of your dashboard?

Hi @cutler.

Dashboard! That’s was the part I did not get before. I was expecting to see that functionality also in Looks.

Working fine!

Thanks for the help.

Excellent! I’ll also make sure to talk to our product folks about PDFs from Looks as well.

on Ubuntu if you get a message that libfontconfig.so.1 is missing, you can do:

sudo apt-get install libfontconfig

to fix.

Hi,

Facing an issue when checking for the phantomjs --version. Below are the issues:

phantomjs: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by phantomjs)
phantomjs: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by phantomjs) phantomjs: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: versionGLIBCXX_3.4.11’ not found (required by phantomjs)
phantomjs: /lib64/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.9' not found (required by phantomjs) phantomjs: /lib64/libc.so.6: versionGLIBC_2.10’ not found (required by phantomjs)
phantomjs: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7’ not found (required by phantomjs

Please let me know why it is causing and what action required to resolve it ?

Thanks in advance.

Hey @samarapalli,

What OS are you using? Seems like there is a known issue with Phantomjs 2.1 binary not working on CentOS 5 you can find more info here.

Best,

Sasha

Hi, I had to fix the libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory error with this:

yum install fontconfig freetype freetype-devel fontconfig-devel libstdc++