[Retired] How to add a new view file

(Brett Sauve) #1

This article has been retired. The information is now in the Looker documentation on this page.

0 Likes

View File Generation in Looker
Nested Data in BigQuery (Repeated Records)
(Yuriy) #2

Would you please add the reminder about explore somewhere under “Adding a New View from an Existing Database Table.” Screenshot would be really great.
When i refer users to this page, they seem to be not reading to the end of the article once they added a view.
Users ignore it thinking that everything else belongs to the next part.

Thank you

0 Likes

(Brett Sauve) #3

@yuriy I’ve made that change for you.

0 Likes

(davids) #4

As of version 3.36, you can add a SQL Runner query directly to a project as a derived table by selecting ‘Add to Project’ from the gear dropdown in the upper right:

More details can be found in this discourse article.

0 Likes

(Jesus Cruz) #5

New “Add File” button changes steps on how to add a View File. We no longer have a “+” button on “VIEWS” section. New steps should be on #2 below.

Adding a New View from an Existing Database Table

1. Navigate to the LookML section
  2. Click the plus [+] sign to the right of Add Files … in the left panel.
  3. Choose Create View from Table

0 Likes

(Jesus Cruz) #6

Also need to update each section so that we replace the “+ from Views” to “+ from Add files …”

Adding a New View for a Derived Table

5. In the left hand pane there is a section called “Add Files …”. Click the plus sign to the right of “Add Files …”.

The Manual Method

2. In the left hand pane there is a section called “Add Files …”. Click the plus sign to the right of “Add Files …”.

Adding a Blank View File

2. In the left hand pane there is a section called “Add Files …”. Click the plus sign to the right of “Add Files …”.

0 Likes

(Yuriy) #7

Our users complain that they are not able to see/add the views from Oracle database using the automated method. Neither they are able to see the views in a list of schemas/tables. This is a real inconvenience for the teams since some teams have 250+ views, and adding them manually is a real pain. Is there an existing enhancement request that we can vote for or should we submit a new one?
To clarify, we are able to see the tables, but not views.

Thanks

0 Likes

(Peggy Beard) #8

Hi Yuriy!

Consider it submitted! :slight_smile: I’m curious about how you envision this working best for your users. Currently there’s a ‘create view from table’ dialog which lists the tables on the connection, and it lists the schemas to expand and see all the tables. If the teams have 250+ views, does this same type of option still work?

0 Likes

(Arish Ojaswi) #9

Can you please add a button to Select All Tables?
If the number of tables is very large (in the hundreds) and we wish to create views from all of the tables, it takes a lot of time to select each table one by one.

0 Likes

(diego.campos) #10

Hey @arishojaswi,
I think that is a very good idea indeed. I have shared your use case to Engineering, and rely on them for its implementation.

0 Likes