RETIRED: Experimental Feature: Setting Up Merged Results

(Tig Newman) #1

Starting in Looker 5.18, Merged Results is no longer a Labs feature. Merged Results is automatically enabled for your Looker instance. For information about using this feature, see this documentation page. Also, we’ve created a video that shows it in action.

8 Likes

Works great. Can’t wait until we can save, schedule, put on dashboards, and do everything else that comes with normal Looks.

Inner and full outer joins would be nice to haves as well.

As it is, this is a great step forward, but won’t be useful until we can use these like normal Looks, and replace some of the Explores we’ve had to hack together as workarounds to make certain reports work (mostly situations that would require a right join).

4 Likes

(Anish Giri) #3

Any idea when we would be able to Save it and add to Dashboards. Weeks or months ETA?

3 Likes

(jeffrey.martinez) #4

@Anish_Giri Our product team is actively working on this feature, but currently we do not have a concrete ETA.

0 Likes

(Emerson) #5

Love this feature as it’s so helpful to compare completely different data sets. But i will say I can’t wait until we can actually do things (looks/dashboards) with the results. In the meantime, I guess it’s somewhat useful for ad-hoc comparisons.

2 Likes

(Marceau Boulenger) #6

Agree.
This is really, really, really useful to do some quick “join” for quick analyses instead of having to change the model and do it in SQL on. Cannot wait for the save option as it is requested by many business users and now I only can do screen shots of the results.

3 Likes

(Marceau Boulenger) #7

@jeffrey.martinez
Do you have any time estimate now that it has been 1 month since roll out ?

0 Likes

(jeffrey.martinez) #8

@Marceau_Boulenger

Optimistically we aim for this to land in Q1 or Q2 of 2018. This is subject to change as it is still something we are working on, but that is our current estimate.

1 Like

(Tobias Schmidt) #9

Hi @jeffrey.martinez,
i appreciate the estimate. Any further updates on this development?
Allowing our business users to view merged results from different sources is absolutely essential for us.

0 Likes

(Aleksandrs Vedernikovs) #10

Hey @Tobias_Schmidt,

There is no exact dates at the moment. However product team is aiming to get it released within Q1 of 2018. Appreciate your patience.

Best,

Sasha

1 Like

(Tobias Schmidt) #11

thanks a lot @Aleksandrs_Vederniko

0 Likes

(Richard) #12

Just to add another voice to this - I really want to add my merged view to a dashboard, it would avoid a whole new custom model.

0 Likes

(Brecht Vermeire) #13

Thanks all for your feedback on this - the timeline on this hasn’t changed and being able to save merged results to a dashboard should get released in the month or two.

2 Likes

(Terence Knorr) #14

Thanks @brecht! Can’t wait!

0 Likes

(Marceau Boulenger) #15

Hey Bretcht,
Do you know that filters on the dashboard will be able to be applied to all the merged views and not only the primary one? Ex: if I have a merged view with orders and calls, and I want to put it on a dashboard where there is a filter by region, will it apply the filter on both the views that are merged?
That would be awesome but if it is not there I will create a custom model right now instead of waiting for the release. Thanks a lot in advance

2 Likes

(Brecht Vermeire) #16

For now, filtering would need to be set while setting up the merged results and dashboard filters won’t be applicable to a merged results tile. However the merged results are in constant development and dashboard filtering is expected to land in one of the future Looker 5 releases.

0 Likes

(Andrew Wynn) #17

Hi Everyone,

The ability to save a merged result query to a dashboard is now in beta as well as of version 5.6.

In order to save to a dashboard, follow the usual steps to create a merged result and then click on the gear icon to add to a dashboard.

We’re still working to make downloading and dashboard filters function correctly but the core add to dashboard functionality is in place. Please let us know your feedback and any issues you my find at feedback@looker.com

Thanks!
Andrew

2 Likes

(Dan Groman) #18

Any idea when the downloading/printing to PDF is going to be fixed? We’ve come across bugs with that and copying dashboards that have merged results in them.

0 Likes

(leticia.esparza) #19

Hey @dgroman1988,

I hope your day is going well! It looks like the issue related to downloading dashboards with merged results has be resolved and should be in effect for version 5.8+. If you are on version 5.8+ and are encountering issues, please visit help.looker.com. This will allow us to gather more information about the issue and your example(s) that is rendering the unexpected behavior.

Best,

Leticia

0 Likes

(Ian) #20

How does this work regarding users not in the “merged users group”. If someone is not in this group can they still view whatever content has already been created and schedule it as well?

0 Likes