Restrict dropdown options of dashboard filters

lookml
dashboards

Hi,

I am in process of creating a dashboard, where the parameter is Reporting Date.
Here as it is of Date format i see the huge drop down of possibilities for selection viz. is in range, is in the past, is before etc. But for the use case that i am working on - none of the other options except is in range make sense.
How can these drop down list be restricted to only what i need i.e. is in range?

(sam) #2

Hi @Amruta, there is not currently a way to limit the possibilities there. I can pass along your feedback to our product team - can you elaborate on why the other options do not make sense here?

Hi @sam, the dashboard comprise of YOY comparison for a Month (on some customized requirements) and all I need is the date range for current year and that for previous year.
Here, the last 7 days in the past or is before etc, will not be useful.
Hence, would like to restrict the other options.

(sam) #4

That makes sense @amruta - thanks for that!

(Makoto Taguchi) #5

Hi, I need this option too. Is there any progress for the product update?

(DCL) #6

Hi Makoto-san,

This is a very active discussion in the product team but no timelines have been announced. We are still gathering feedback to understand the range of use cases for this.

Could you tell me a little more about the details of why this feature would be helpful to you? Is it to prevent user error? Performance? Specifically for dates? The details really help our product team understand customer needs and design features accordingly. If you would prefer to give those details in private feel free to email support@looker.com.

Thank you!

Jiro

(Makoto Taguchi) #7

Hi Jiro-san

So I am working with agency client that has ~ 100 clients. Given that those clients are not sophisticated enough, we want to reduce a number of options in the filter to avoid confusion. For example, to simplify, those three options are enough for some of clients.

• today
  • last month
  • this month

Hope this will be helpful and would like to know when this will be available in the product update.

Thanks
Makoto

(DCL) #8

Thank you very much for the extra details!

I discussed this specific feature with our product team and they said that this feature is being considered as a portion of a larger project that is underway. We may release updates to filters over the next several releases.

In the meantime it may be helpful to include specific filter types in the filter name itself, like this:

Another option you could use is the suggestion parameter on the dimension that is being filtered. Please note here though that suggestions will not be offered for some of our filter types like matches (advanced), any of the filters starting with “doesn’t”, or contains)

Though this is not as clean and organized as being able to limit the options directly I hope it helps!

(Makoto Taguchi) #9

Hi Jiro

Thanks. Would love to get the timeline for adding this feature once it is decided!

(aleks) #10

@Makoto_Taguchi, @Amruta - You can now do all of the above using Looker’s new parameter function. Here’s an example on how to implement it.

(Ayon) #11

is the same option available if I want to have this in a dashboard instead of an explore?

(will.adams) #12

@ayonsarkar Yep, once you have the parameter in the look, and the look added to the dashboard, you can use the dashboard’s filter overlay to point the dash-level filter at the look-level parameter :thumbsup:

Restricting date filter dropdown options (5.0+)