Reformatting Merged Results

Good afternoon! I am new to the Looker community and look forward to learning from everyone here. :slight_smile:

I have successfully used this doc (https://docs.looker.com/exploring-data/exploring-data/merged-results) to merge results from different explores. However, the results are showing all in one row.

I would like it to appear in multiple rows with no repeating columns.

Can anybody please point me in the right direction? TIA!

Hey Sandy! Welcome :slightly_smiling_face:.

Merged results work by adding all columns from source explores into the final merged explore, like a SQL join would (and like what you’re seeing).

What you’re describing as your goal is stacking source queries on top of one another, similar to a SQL union. Merged results aren’t able to stack like that right now, we would generally recommend using a derived table to UNION the results in sql.

Although, glancing at your screenshot in the other thread, it looks like the source queries are from the same root explore— Kpismaster1 2 2019. If that’s the case, then you’re not necessarily pigeonholed into using merged results. If you say more about your specific case, I wonder if someone here could help you get what you need in 1 explore using some clever filtering!

Hi, Izzy, thanks for the response! The source queries are from 2 different root explores. Can you please confirm that this means these merged results cannot be stacked? TIA