Post on Improving Looker Model Governance (Contribution, Code Review, and Testing)

bl5a
Participant I

Hey everyone,

I wrote a short blog post on how we’re trying to improve the governance of our Looker model at QuintoAndar. It covers our contribution guidelines, code review process, and automated testing.

Just wanted to share it here too: https://medium.com/quintoandar-tech-blog/improving-looker-governance-with-user-centric-models-and-au...

6 2 133
2 REPLIES 2

Thanks for sharing, Bernardo! It was an interesting read and your lessons learned resonated with me.

A follow-up question: sounds like you’ve removed the massive number of joins and fields. But now you might have many more Explores than before. How do you manage them? Are users still able to find the Explore they need?

bl5a
Participant I

Hi Greg! Good to know that you found it interesting.

You have a great point on having more Explores now. I think there’s a trade-off, but I believe that if they’re grouped nicely under relevant topics, it’s not too hard for users to find what they need (but I don’t have data on this, I would have to run an internal survey with our users).

But overall, I would still prefer having many Explores with well-defined contexts than few Explores that are too wide in scope. In the first case, it’s only a matter of finding the Explore you need; in the second, you open up an Explore and then have to figure what you can do with it, and in my opinion that’s worse…

Thanks for your reply!

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors