Move calculated fields

(Sean Corson) #5

The most recent use case is a table that has different revenue types (product revenue, shipping, tax, etc…), by week with a calculated field that shows week over week change for each of the revenue types. If I view that in a table form, I see each of the revenue types for each week, and then at the end of those I see the week over week change calcs…it would be nice to see the week over week change calc next to the measure that it is calculating from.

0 Likes

(Jesus Cruz) #6

@smcorson Thank you for the specific use case. I’ve added that to your original feedback.

0 Likes

(Nate Tallman) #7

+1 for this.

0 Likes

(Jon Marak) #8

Has any progress been made here? This limitation comes up over and over for me. I need to include a few simple “percent of total” columns in a data table. It looks poorly laid out to have them all at the end of the report. Converting all the measures to table calculations is not a reasonable solution because table calculations don’t allow for totals.

2 Likes

(Peggy Beard) #9

Hi Jon, I checked, and this has not been committed to a timeline by the Looker product team. I have called it to their attention, as well as a related request for the capability to allow totals for table calculations.

Meanwhile, I have been using a workaround which might prove useful for you. I create a number of looks from smaller tables, with, for example, a dimension column and its associated measure. Then I arrange them on a dashboard the way I want them to appear. It’s kludgy but it works OK for my needs.

Here is an example of what it looks like:

0 Likes

(Bryan Boutwell) #10

+1 for this. Seems like a pretty standard use case. If you’re calculating a percentage of total based on 2 measures you typically want to be able to put it right next to those columns instead of it being at the very end of the table.

0 Likes

(molly.lippsett) #11

Thanks @bryanfboutwell I’ve passed your +1 to the product team!

0 Likes

I also +1 this. Is there any additional updates on this? Workarounds via code, or perhaps an update which will allow this? Thanks

0 Likes

(Sara Guzman) #13

Hi @drogalski

Currently this is not possible in Looker, I can pass your feedback to the product team.
However, we can change the calculated field to be measure-based, this way you can move it through your other measures. To do so, you need to add: + ${Measure} * 0 in the table calc, this modification wont change the value it will only convert the table calc to a measure.

0 Likes

(Adrian Gomez) #14

@Sara_Guzman Adding +1 on this feature request. Our use case its exactly this one Move calculated fields

1 Like

(Natalie Steepleton) #15

+1 on feature request

0 Likes

(David Hoy) #16

Another +1 on the feature. Workaround is not too hard. Example: Dimension for Week, Measures for Total # Orders, Total Items Sold, Total $ Sold. Calculation #1 is Items per Order, Calculation #2 is $ per Order.

Simply make a new Calculation #2 that directly references the Total $ Sold Measure, and Hide from Visualization for that Measure. Then make Calc #3 $ per Order. So essentially move the Measure to the right by making it a Calc and hiding it.

0 Likes

(Greg Roberts) #17

+1 for this feature.

Want to display set of measures interspersed with totals grouping those measures together.

My current workaround is to just generate all the columns as calculated measures in the order you want to see them, then hide the actual measures themselves, but this is very hacky!!

0 Likes

(jon.allen) #18

Hi Greg,

Thank you for letting us know, I have passed your use case to our product team to push on the desire for this functionality. Your workaround is the recommended method to achieve a similar outcome.

Cheers,
Jon

0 Likes

(Baran Toppare) #19

+1 for the feature

0 Likes

(Chris Sarakopoulos) #20

Hey @Baran_Toppare I’ve passed your feedback as well to our product team.

0 Likes

+1 :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Izzy) #22

Whisked off to the Feature Requests section. I’ll retroactively add in some votes, but in the meantime, click that vote button :smiley:

0 Likes

(Natalie Steepleton) #23

Has any progress been made here? This issue has come up for me numerous times. I would like to have the ability to move measures and calculations in between other measures + dimensions.

0 Likes

This is a pretty ridiculous limitation of looker. I worked around it by having all the column being table calculations depending on the calculated column in a meaningless way, inefficient, and silly. but it work.

0 Likes