Measure vs. Measure Scatterplots (3.28+)

As of version 3.28, you can now plot measure vs. measure scatterplots. This can be done by hiding the dimension(s) in the data table from the visualization.

For example, say you have this data table:

In order to chart Orders Count vs. Order Items Total Sale Price, you will want to hide Users Age from the visualization by selecting Hide from Visualization from that column’s gear dropdown:

After selecting scatter from the chart icon options, you should see a chart like this!

Looker 3.28 Release Notes

Is it possible to show the hidden field in the tooltip? or to colour each dot in the plot by category?

(Nicole Beyer) #3

Hey Paul,

This is not currently possible but I have passed the idea along to product and engineering for consideration!

Best,
Nicole

(Daniel Weitzenfeld) #4

+1 for this. Also, the ability to have a dimension vs. dimension scatter plot, and include a 3rd/4th/etc dimension in the tooltip.

(Ethan Herdrick) #5

+1 for the dimension vs. dimension scatter plot and tooltips.

(Bridge ) #6

+1 to Paulb’s request. Having the ability to color and affect size would be really helpful in conveying a clear, but complex data story in a single chart.

(Paul Price) #7

+1 to paulbp’s request to see the hidden dimension as a tooltip.

(Phil Jones) #8

+1 to this. I have to revert to R at the moment to do decent scatter plots. In R you can use dimensions/measures to set the size, color and shape of marker - I really miss this in looker. I especially miss not being able to plot dimension v dimension with measure dictating the size of the point.

+1 to this, dimensions as tooltip is a must have

(Brayden) #10

It would also be useful to pivot a measure/measure scatter plot by a dimension

(Colin) #11

Is the pivot desire in order to facet the result set by something like color? Just trying to understand what you are trying to do so we can incorporate it.

[For others above:] Tooltips work is currently in progress.

(Brayden) #12

Yes, pivoting for color was my attempted use case.

(Colin) #13

Makes sense, we have some plans to tackle that via color faceting row-by-row rather than forcing a pivot, so hoping the tooltip work, et al tackles this use case as well. Will update here as work is completed.

(Rtblair) #14

+1 for this. The scatterplot visualizations for measure vs measure are very difficult to use without useful info in the tooltip.

+1 the ability to pivot when comparing measures, e.g. a color key for different dimension values of the plotted items.

(Omris1) #16

+1 for the color coding, tooltip usage (that should accommodate for more than one hidden series) and size control! :sunglasses:

@weitzenfeld and @herdrick: You can convert any dimension to a computed measure by including a measure in the computation. For example, if you have a measure count and a dimension year, you can make a computed measure by adding and subtracting count to/from year. Effectively you’ve added 0, so you wind up with the same value as year itself, but, because you included a measure, Looker views the computed field as a measure and you can do with it whatever you can do with measures. Then you hide the original dimension year from the visualization and you’re done.

When doing this, make sure the measure you’re adding and subtracting is never null (or use coalesce), else your result will be null.

(Leland) #18

I just came across another use-case where this would be extremely helpful. +1 to having the ability to pivot a measure/measure scatterplot in order to shade by color, etc.

(Dave Suchmann) #19

+9000 for this!

(Lucas Ludewigs) #20

+1 to paulbp’s request to see the hidden dimension as a tooltip.