- We have a Looker self-hosted environment hosted behind DomainA.com
- We have our own product or brand website hosted behind DomainB.com
- We want to generate an embed URL per this handy troubleshooting guide - https://discourse.looker.com/t/troubleshooting-looker-sso-embed-url-generation/863
The issue we are having is related to browser security & CORS.
Our product web site at DomainB.com is trying to generate an embed URL from DomainA.com - that will then be iFramed into a page within the DomainB.com site, but the web browser is having none of that & so an error page is displayed. Surprisingly, the error message differs depending on which web browser from the major players.
More details about the example scenario above -
- Looker self-Hosted EC2 instance = DomainA.com
- Behind AWS ELB with listener ports with SSL wildcard certificate for DomainA.com
- AWS Beanstalk application (code that generated the Looker embed URL) = DomainB.com
- Typical web browser behavior for above cross-domain configuration
- Internet Explorer will NOT work unless Security settings are set to “Low” – renders “Dashboard Not Found” error
- Chrome will NOT work if Content Settings > Third party cookie blocking is turned on – browser renders HTTP 401 “Not Authorized” error
- Firefox – works most of the time.
I was able to test everything on the same domain with the same domain SSL certificate on the ELB, & we didn’t have any browser security problems. In most cases, we have not encountered this issue before now because we had everything hosted on the same domain. However, our newest application is going to be a cross-platform product or brand, so before we can embed the new Dashboard, I’d like to have the technical details nailed down.
I should also point out that we are able to run through this same scenario using https://unique-account.Looker.com & not encounter the CORS error from the browser. What am I missing? Do we need headers with Access-Control-Allow-Origin for our web site (DomainB.com)?
Thanks for any insight into my issue the community can provide.