Looker Actions - Segment Integrations

integration-hub
integrations
segment
actions

(Haarthi Sadasivam) #1

Looker Actions - Segment

Looker is launching a Segment Integration that will allow for actions on modeled data right within Looker. Our Segment Integration will let customers send out data to a variety of integrators managed by Segment. Looker customers can now push User Cohorts to Segment, which can allow for actions on that data with third party applications like Marketo, Hubspot, Urban Airship.

Read our Blog Post to learn how the Segment Integration helps Close the Loop Between Data Analysis and Action.

Enable the Segment Integration

1. To enable the integration service in Looker, go to your Admin panel and the Actions Tab under the Platform header [your-instance.looker.com/admin/actions].
    Admin > Platform > Actions.
    Select “Enable” on the Integration you would like to enable.
    Note: Your Looker instance must be on Looker 4.18.

2. In your Segment workspace, create a “Looker Source” and grab the “Write Key” in your Looker Source overview page [segment.com/your-segment/sources/setup/looker].
    Segment -> Sources -> Cloud Apps -> Looker

3. Copy your Looker Source API key and paste into the Looker Actions Page.

Send Data to Segment

Great, now you’ve setup your API keys so that Looker can communicate with Segment!

Add Segment Tags

To send custom attributes, first add the new segment tags to your existing model. Two important attributes “email” and “user_id” are outlined below and can be attached to User Email addresses and User Ids.

dimension: email {
    sql: ${TABLE}.email ;;
    tags: ["email"]
}

dimension: user_id {
    sql: ${TABLE}.user_id ;;
    tags: ["user_id"]
}

Create and Schedule a Report

Create a report with either the user email or the user_id field and other fields selected.
NOTE: All Segment partners will require one or the other. Without the correct ID, your data will not make it to your supported integrations. You can see the required IDs for each supported Segment integration here.

On the scheduler modal, select “Segment” as the destination. Schedule a report to be sent to Segment and downstream partners on an interval or simply send the report once by clicking on “Send Test”.

You can confirm that your user attributes are being receive by segment in the debugger [segment.com/your-segment/sources/looker/debugger].

Your payload might look the following -

Connect to Destinations

Now that you can successfully send data to Segment, connect to Marketo, Hubspot, and a number of other data destinations to automate your Looker workflows.

JOIN 2017 - Deep Dive - Action Hub
Looker 4.18 Release Notes
Looker 5.0 Release Notes
(Kay) #2

Are you guys planning to add event tracking any time soon? I’d like to fire an event as well when a user is identified.

(gavin.wims) #3

Hi Kay -

I’m not aware that we are planning to add event tracking, but I’ll call this to the attention of the Product team for their consideration.

(Robin Emeršič) #4

I really like this feature, but it’s currently a bit limited for our use-case. We have two Segment projects for different products.

Is it planned to add multiple Segment write keys in the Looker admin? We could then select a destination from a drop-down in the Schedule options (Segment1, Segment2).

(gavin.wims) #5

Hi Robin -

At present, there is a way of doing something like this, but whether it is useful to you depends on your use case. If your use case would support per user direction to specific segment destinations, the work flow would be:

1. Go to ‘User Attributes’ in the Looker Admin panel and create a segment write-key user attribute
  2. Select ‘user attribute’ when enabling the Segment action in Looker
  3. Select the Segment write-key user attribute that you created

As for a more widely applicable implementation along the lines that you mention, it sounds like a good idea and I’ll pass the idea to Product.

(Brian Donaldson) #6

Adding track calls would be a great way to trigger nurture actions in Marketo.

(jamie.davidson) #7

Track and group calls are coming soon! Thanks for your interest and feedback.

(Marceau Boulenger) #8

Hey,
Are the track and group call coming soon? Would LOVE to have this working.
Thanks

(Aleksandrs Vedernikovs) #9

Hi @Marceau_Boulenger,

It is on our Product team radar. I cannot give any timeframes at this time, but appreciate your interest. Keep an eye on our release notes.

(Marceau Boulenger) #11

Hey everyone,
Want to share my experience with Segment integration. We had some issues when we are trying to send more than20-30k record at the same time as Looker fail to send all the info and the query failled.
What we end up doing is a basic filter that send all the record created at the same hour of the day, and schedule it every hour. As a result, we have all our 300k records send to segment in 24 hours.
Just a tip I though I could share

(jon.allen) #12

Hi Marceau,

Thank you for sharing the tip, that is a neat solution!

Cheers,
Jon