Anticipated Deployment Dates
Release Rollout Begins: Sunday, October 13th, 2019
Release Final & Download Available: Thursday, October 24th, 2019
Please note that comments on this thread are not formally tracked. For help requests and issue reports please open a separate conversation or reach out via the Looker Help Center to start a specific conversation.
In addition to general tweaks and enhancements, this release comes with new and improved features in the following categories. Read on for more detail.
Preparing for Release
Please take notice of items marked with a as they indicate changes to existing functionality and may require your attention. For more information, see the Legacy Feature Updates and Features by Section below.
- Download, send and schedule modals will now default to a new JSON format for field
- Scheduled plans without a destination will now fail to send.
- Introduced a LookML Validator Error to handle self-referential
- Snowflake JDBC driver upgrade
- Introduced support for Microsoft SQL Server 2016+ timezones
Beta and Experimental Labs Features
The following new and improved experimental and beta features are marked with a :
IP WhitelistingThis new feature provides a mechanism for Looker administrators to whitelist certain IP addresses or blocks of IP addresses that can reach their Looker instance. When activated, Looker will refuse connection attempts from all other IP addresses. **Note:** This feature is only available for instances hosted by Looker. Learn more.
SQL Runner Visualization
This Beta feature allows users to visualize data directly within SQL Runner and to share links for collaboration with other users. Learn more.
Features by Section
Platform and Administration
- Scheduled plans without a destination will now fail to send. Schedules without destinations created prior to 6.22 will be deleted. Learn more.
- Localization updates. Language support added for: Chinese (Simplified & Traditional), Swedish, Turkish, and Polish. Learn more.
Table-next (Beta) improvements:
- If enabled, Table-Next will be the default table in the visualization list. The previous table will still show up in the visualization dropdown menu as Table (Legacy). Learn more.
- Alerts (Beta) Improvements:
send_to_integrationpermission allows users without scheduling permissions to send and schedule content to custom actions. Learn more.
- Introduced an additional
--log-formatargument with the two options, [text, json]. The default is
jsonproduces structured logs for improved/simpler processing. Learn more.
API 3.1 Introduced a new JSON format type called
json_label. Learn more.
Scheduling and Downloads
Download, send and schedule modals will now default to a new JSON format for field
label. This only impacts the modal, not existing content. Learn more.
Note: The original option regarding the
json_labelformat option with an admin legacy feature was removed mid-release. This was done in an effort to provide a more stable experience in regards to rendering field labels in a JSON format when downloading, scheduling, and sending content.
- Note: The original option regarding the
- Snowflake. Upgraded JDBC driver to v3.9.1.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016+. Added support of connection timezone settings.
- Apache Hive. Introduced support for v3.1.2 and later.
- DB2, Dremio, IBM DB2 Warehouse on Cloud. Enabled SSL string parameters.
- Amazon Aurora MySQL. Previously known as "Amazon Aurora” when selecting this dialect on a new connection.
- Presto, Athena, Qubole Presto, Qubole Quantum. Changed string comparisons to use LIKE instead of REGEXP_LIKE for more performant SQL filtering.
LookML and Development
IDE folders improvements.
- Collapse all folders button.
- Jump-to-file/search button.
- Display the file extension type within the modal when creating/renaming a file.
- Rename modal populates the old name, highlighted.
- New SDKs available. This will allow developers to work with Looker’s APIs in the language they’re more comfortable with. Learn more.
General Tweaks and Bug Fixes
LookML and Development
- Fixed an issue where uploading a
.strings.jsontype file did not show up in the development IDE with folders disabled.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in a 500 error message:
There was a problem running the validatorwhen validating in the IDE if a merge query with an unknown field existed in a LookML dashboard file.
- Fixed an issue where snowflake queries would hang before connecting until Looker was restarted. Resolved by updating the snowflake JDBC driver to v3.9.1.
- Fixed an issue where the Git menu would disappear when switching to another user’s branch.
- Fixed an issue where filter suggestions that never populated and a 404 error message appeared in the JS console when a dimension referenced itself in the
The LookML Validator will now error in the presence of self-referential
- The LookML Validator will now error in the presence of self-referential
- Fixed an issue that would break the LookML validator when joining on fields of
- Fixed an issue that prevented users with the
see_pdtspermission from populating information in the Admin panel without
- Fixed an issue where setting the parameter
bind_all_filters: yesin an NDT led to a circular reference error.
- Fixed an issue where the quick help for
sql_whereindicated that this parameter was only available for BigQuery.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in absolute links opening in the same tab instead of in a new tab.
- Fixed an issue where conditional formatting would break the table visualization within an embedded LookML dashboard.
- Fixed an issue that prevented embed users with the
schedule_look_emailspermission from being able to send or schedule a Look.
- Fixed an issue that when utilizing the API
scheduled_plan_run_onceendpoint returned a 404 error message in cases where the
idparameter matches an existing ID.
- Fixed an issue where the alerts permissions
follow_alertswere not available for embed users.
Platform and Administration
- Fixed an issue that prevented sending All Results (streaming) in schedules when utilizing a database type of IBM DB2 for AS400 and System i.
- Fixed an issue that was displaying LookML dashboards to users without the
see_lookml_dashboardspermissions in search.
- Fixed an issue that prevented totals from being displayed in a generated PDF when utilizing the Table-Next beta Labs feature.