Anticipated Deployment Dates
Release Rollout Begins: August 11, 2019
Release Final & Download Available: August 22, 2019
Please note that comments on this thread are not formally tracked. For help requests and issue reports please open a separate conversation or reach out via the Looker Help Center to start a specific conversation.
In addition to general tweaks and enhancements, this release comes with new and improved features in the following categories. Read on for more detail.
Preparing for Release
Please take notice of items marked with a as they indicate changes to existing functionality and may require your attention. For more information see the Legacy Feature Updates and Features by Section below.
System Configuration Notices
Self-hosted customers should take note of items marked with a as they indicate changes to system configurations that may impact your ability to run the new release.
Beta and Experimental Labs Features
The following new and improved experimental and beta features are marked with a :
- Additional functionality now available in the Table-Next (Labs Beta) feature
- Additional functionality now available in the Alerts (Labs Beta) feature
- Additional functionality now available in the Content curation (Labs Beta) feature
- Importing remote projects is no longer in Labs; local project imports remain experimental
Internal Help Resources
Admins will now have the ability to use a markdown file to configure a list of Looker help resources that are available at their company. Once configured, users will be able to access that list for the
Help dropdown menu in the platform. Learn more.
Features by Section
Dashboards, Visualizations, and Explore
- Table-Next Improvements (Labs Beta).
- Alerts Improvements (Labs Beta).
Platform and Administration
- Dependencies JAR. Certain Java class files are now distributed separately; resulting in two distinct JAR files that will need to be downloaded and installed to update your Looker instances. Learn more.
- Completely removed the “Legacy Rendering” Legacy Feature.
explore:readyevents to indicate when both the explore and query have loaded. Learn more.
- Added a
statusresult to dashboard embed events to indicate whether a tile produces an error.
Content curation Improvements (Labs beta).
- Ability to view, scroll and sort all boards within a user’s organization.
- User personal folders now appear both in the
Browsemenu and on the left sidebar.
- Folders previously set as a ‘default folder’ will continue to appear in the left sidebar.
- Developers can set LookML dashboards to appear in the
Browsemenu and left sidebar.
LookML and Development
Importing remote projects is no longer in Labs.
- The generalized “Project Import” feature is no longer in Labs.
- Importing locally maintained projects is still in Labs under “Local Project Import”.
- Snowflake: Added support for External Table database objects to be scanned for database metadata information. This will surface external tables in SQL Runner and in LookML View generation.
- Aster Data. Partially deprecated Aster Data. It will no longer be selectable as a dialect in the Dialect dropdown in the Connection panel. Existing Aster Data connections will continue to work.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005. Removed support for MS SQL 2005.
- XtremeData. Removed support for XtremeData.
- Qubole Presto and Qubole Quantum. Upgraded the JDBC driver to version 2.0.2 to fix intermittent NullPointerException errors. Learn more.
- Oracle and Oracle ADWC. Upgraded the Oracle JDBC Thin Driver to version 18.3.
Only Oracle ADWC. Changed JDBC connection string format for Oracle ADWC connections to use the TNS alias as the hostname. In addition, the TNS_ADMIN JDBC parameter is used to connect with Oracle Wallets.
- Druid. Updated the JDBC driver to version 1.15.0.
General Tweaks and Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue where a Look or dashboard tile’s default filter values could be applied instead of a send or schedule’s filter values. This could only occur if the filter values came from a view that has
v_as the first two characters in its name.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in User Attribute values set to hidden were printed to server logs.
Scheduling and Downloads
- All formatting types in streamed results were being ignored. Formats will now be respected. Note: JSON detail format will continue to ignore formats as it is its expected behavior.
- Fixed a scheduler issue that prevented users from running a specific look both when in development mode and when that user did not have development permission to the model the content was based on.
- Fixed an issue where schedules failed when a user was in development mode and did not have developer access to the model, even if data should return outside of development mode.
- Fixed an issue where the schedule dispatcher would not run on the master node if it had scheduler threads set to zero, even if other nodes had scheduler threads.
- Fixed an issue where Looker was starting with a default of three unlimited execute scheduler threads even though this should be one.
- Looker now retries schedules and actions if one fails due to multiple events firing simultaneously.
Platform and Administration
- Added clarifying text to the Sessions admin panel. No behaviors changed.
- Google Cloud Spanner. Fixed an issue where the JDBC driver hit a Java instantiation exception.
Netezza. SQL Runner will now populate database objects from
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.VIEWSin addition to
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLESin the Schema and Tables sidebar.
- Snowflake. Fixed an issue where the SQL Runner Describe command did not scope Snowflake tables to the schema, causing describe to fail for tables outside of the default schema.
- Fixed an issue where updating a Look filter via an iFrame message failed with an error response.
- Fixed an issue where failed schedules mentioned Looker despite settings being set to not reference Looker.
- Fixed an issue where the whitelabel favicon was displaying the Looker icon when downloading a PNG in the browser.
- Numeric filters can now be set on Looks via the embed messaging in an iframe.
- Fixed an issue where clicking “Explore from Here” when editing an embedded dashboard did not open in a new tab.