Looker 6.14 Release Notes

Anticipated Deployment Dates

Release Rollout Begins: June 9, 2019
Release Final & Download Available: June 20, 2019

:jp:Release Notes in Japanese :jp:

Release Highlights

In addition to general tweaks and enhancements, this release comes with new and improved features in the following categories. Read on for more detail.

Preparing for Release

Please take notice of items marked with a :zap: as they indicate changes to existing functionality and may require your attention. For more information see the Legacy Feature Updates and Features by Section below.

Beta and Experimental Labs Features

The following new and improved experimental and beta features are marked with a :alembic::

Notable Features

Localization of Number Formatting

Developers have the ability to implement localized number formatting by using a user attribute. Admins also have the ability to override the user attribute setting of the number formatting.

Render Liquid HTML in the description parameter

Developers have the ability to implement Liquid HTML in the description parameter of fields.

Example of liquid in the description parameter:

Example of the Liquid rendered in an explore:

Features by Section

Dashboards, Visualizations, and Explore

Platform and Administration

• Localization of Number Formatting. Ability to implement number formatting by setting the user attribute, number_format of a user to one of the available number formats. The formatting is not respected on the x-axis of some visualizations.
  • New user email configuration option: Allows admins to customize the body content via HTML of the welcome email new users receive to activate their Looker account.

Dialects

• :zap: Upgraded Snowflake driver (v3.8.0). Addresses Snowflake OCSP issue found in prior versions of the driver.
  • :zap: Upgraded Athena driver (v2.0.7). Allows defining Workgroup=WorkgroupName parameter in the Additional JDBC Parameters field of a database connection in order to utilize AWS Workgroups .

Scheduling and Downloads

• :zap: Run Schedule as Recipient is out of Labs Beta. This feature is now fully available on all instances.
  • :zap: Easy to Read Email Images is out of Labs Beta. This feature is now fully available on all instances.

General Tweaks and Bug Fixes

Platform and Administration

• Improved the ability to filter out Looker Employees from the User Activity dashboard under System Activity.
  • Improved the tracking of user and sudo details in events.
  • Addressed an issue where a user could bypass the account lockout by using a capital letter in the email.
6 Likes

@Dawid_Nawrot :wink:

2 Likes

Can you explain this some more, please? The Liquid looks like it’s row-dependent, so how can a column header be affected? What if the column has multiple values of (in the example) orders.status?

I wonder if that’s just not a great example— I imagine it’d be the same limitations as what’s useful in the label: parameter— Things like _in_query, _explore._name,user attributes, yada yada. Stuff like value probably wouldn’t work, since the description has to be rendered before the result set is generated, in the field picker.

Maybe it’d update the result set hover description, but the field picker description doesn’t re-render on run I think, so I’m presuming it’d be limited to those pre-query parameters that I referenced.

But, I’m totally 100% guessing. @anakarina.lance would be the authority :policewoman:t4:!

This feature wouldn’t affect the column header itself. It would affect the description that is displayed when hovering over the column header. The feature itself allows the rendering of liquid in the description parameter of a field. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Can’t wait to test it out! Awesome… I guess you can sleep well now knowing you don’t need a truckload of chocolates!

I think this is a great feature. Would it be possible to extend this feature on labels as well apart from description. It will be a great value add for us.

The label parameter supports liquid, but, depending on how you’re using it you may need to check it out in the visualization instead of the data table. There are some neat examples of use here: Interesting Ways to use Liquid in Labels

Great thanks. Let me do some more exploration here. I should have checked the discourse first :). Anyways will look into this a bit more and get back to you for any questions.