Anticipated Deployment Dates
Release Rollout Begins: October 21, 2018
Release Final & Download Available: November 5, 2018
In addition to general tweaks and enhancements, this release
comes with new and improved features in the following
categories. Read on for more detail.
- Refactored Cartesian Charts
- New LookML Parameters
- Improved Color Picker
- New Markdown Toolbar
- MongoBI Support
Preparing for Release
Please take notice of items marked with a as they indicate changes to existing functionality and may require your attention. For more information see the Legacy Feature Updates and Features by Section below.
System Configuration Notices
Take note of items marked with a as they indicate changes to system configurations that may impact your ability to run the new release.
Introducing: Applications in Looker
Refactored Cartesian Charts
A new visualization engine provides for bubble charts, greater flexibility when mixing series types, and smarter defaults for cartesian charts. It also lays the foundation for future developments. The visualization framework is generally available now, but could previously be enabled using the “Enhanced Visualizations” Labs feature.
New LookML Parameters
Control data access at the field, explore, join, and view level based on user attributes with the new
Using two timestamp fields, quickly and flexibly calculate duration with the new
duration dimension group. Like the
time dimension group, this parameter accepts the
intervals field that allows Looker developers to specify the units that matter to their model.
Improved Color Picker
Allow your users to have complete information right off the bat when choosing color palettes for their visualizations. Default color palettes as dictated by the Admin panel are suggested first, followed by Looker’s out of the box color palettes.
Features by Section
LookML and Development
access_grantparameter. LookML developers can use new LookML parameters to adjust data access at the view, join, explore, and field levels.
durationtype dimension group. Learn more.
- Completely removed the “Allow the access_filter_fields parameter” Legacy Feature. User Attribute-based access filters are now the only method for row-level data security. Learn more.
- Disabled the “Native Derivied Tables Convert Dates and Yesnos to Strings” Legacy Feature. It may be temporarily reenabled on the Legacy Features page if needed to help your transition. Learn more.
Dashboards and Visualizations
- Improved Color Picker. New color palette selection tool in visualizations menu. Learn more.
Enhanced Visualizations. Enhanced visualizations have moved out of Beta and will now be available to all Looker customers.
Legacy Visualizationsare available as a legacy feature in the Admin panel. Learn more.
- New Markdown Toolbar for Dashboard text tile creation. Learn more.
- MongoBI. Looker can now be used with MongoDB using the MongoDB BI connector. PDTs are not supported. Learn more.
- Google Bigquery. Added support for Bigquery instances hosted outside the US and PDTs for clustered tables.
General Tweaks & Bug Fixes
Dashboards, Visualizations, and Explore
- Looks are now edited in the page instead of in an additional “edit” modal.
- Custom Visualizations are available to all Looker instances in the Labs panel. Learn more.
- Continued improvements to Custom Visualizations.
- Fixed a bug where reference lines didn’t behave as expected with stacked percentage charts.
- Fixed a bug where log scale y-axes lacked margins.
- Mixed series types now automatically layer for visibility.
- Fixed a bug where stacked charts legend order did not match visualizations.
- Reference lines now compute standard deviations based on population calculations rather than sample ones.
Platform and Administration
- Looker 6.0 requires Java 1.8 update 161+. Learn more.
- Fixed a bug where the timezone picker did not change in embedded explores.
LookML and Development
- Continued improvements to experimental Custom Fields
- Improved error messaging around references to unset user attributes.
Scheduling and Downloading
- Fixed a bug where scheduling an excel file sometimes produced an error.
- Fixed a bug where text visualizations did not render correctly when sent to email as a