Release Rollout Begins: January 2, 2017
Release Final & Download Available: January 19, 2017
In addition to general tweaks and enhancements, this release comes with new and improved features in the following categories. Read on for more detail.
- Looker Platform and Administration
- Scheduling and Downloading
- Content Management and Discoverability
Preparing for Release
Please take notice of items marked with a as they indicate changes to existing functionality and may require your attention. For more information see the Legacy Feature Updates and Features by Section below.
- YAML-based LookML is a legacy feature
- Beta API endpoint changes (impacts Lookerbot)
- Admin panel reorganization
- Google Cloud SQL and persistent derived tables
- i__looker field changes
- Pivot sorts nulls last
- Filter suggestions reduced from 5,000 to 1,000
Curate the Looker experience by dynamically modifying interactions with User Attributes. Administrators can assign values to Users and Groups and subsequently reference those values throughout the Looker platform to tailor interactions for each User. You can assign attributes such as a sales region or credentials to some outside services.
We’re starting with User Attributes to allow you to set User- or Group-specific Data Actions or database Connections, enabling you to do things like allow product managers to update issue tracking software right from Looker.
Legacy Feature Updates
The following feature have been deprecated and will only be available by enabling the associated legacy feature:
Details on how to migrate off legacy features can be found here.
Features by Section
Looker Platform and Administration
- User Attributes. Introducing a new system whereby Users and Groups can be assigned values that can then be referenced throughout Looker. Learn more.
- Database connections: The host, port, database, username, and password of a Connection can be parameterized so that each User will connect with their own credentials rather than through a single Looker user. Learn more.
- Data Actions. Data Actions now accept User Attributes as part of their payload, allowing you to use a User’s credentials to perform an operation against a particular service. Learn more.
- Changes to beta API endpoints including, but not limited to:
- Renamed the
filtersattribute of the
dashboard_filters. Created a new Lookerbot release as a result. Learn more.
joinsattribute to the
- Better handle LookML field names with a
- Added a
is_personal_descendantflag for sub-personal spaces.
is_rootproperties in the
spaceresponse class. These will still work temporarily, but you should transition to
- Admin Panel Reorganization.
- Regrouped items in the left navigation, bucketing items into smaller, more specific categories.
- Reconfigured Labs panel to indicate which features are beta (under development) and which are experimental (and may be discontinued).
Scheduling and Downloading
- Larger scheduled result sets to SFTP via the API. Added the ability to schedule queries with no limit to SFTP via the API.
- Scheduled tables now include totals and table calculations. Improved inline table and HTML attachment scheduled Look formats to include table calculations as well as row and column totals.
- Improved Single Value visualization downloads. Scheduled inline visualizations and Look downloads are captured as images rather than text, allowing comparisons, text, and generally making them more closely resemble how they appear in the web browser.
Content Management and Discoverability
- Recently Viewed Content. A list of the Dashboards and Looks you have been visiting lately. Learn more.
- Bulk delete Dashboards in Spaces.
- Sortable and paginated content browser. Top Content, Favorites and Recently Viewed Content are now sortable and pages currently contain ten Looks or Dashboards.
- IBM DB2. Added support for persistent derived tables.
- Google Cloud SQL. Temporarily removed support for persistent derived tables. This only impacts Google Cloud SQL, not Google BigQuery Legacy SQL or Google BigQuery Standard SQL.
- Presto. Added support for symmetric aggregates. Requires Presto version 0.153 or above.
- New projects cannot be created using YAML-based LookML without the legacy feature. Learn more.
order_by_fieldon measures. Measures now accept the
order_by_fieldparameter, allowing you to order query results based on another measure. Learn more.
General Tweaks & Bug Fixes
- Added average and total runtime measures.
- Removed the total query count measure, allowing for pivoting by source.
- Reduced the number of filter suggestions from 5,000 to 1,000.
- Nulls now sort last in most pivot cases.
- Fixed an issue where the looker.log file associated with HyperSQL application databases did not properly checkpoint.
- Fixed an issue where downloads would fail if they included totals.
- Fixed an issue where the Explore page could go blank after removing a table calculation.
- Fixed an issue where columns were displayed as dimensions (blue) rather than properly displayed as table calculations (green).
- Fixed an issue where values entered in to filters did not always make it to the SQL generated for an Explore.
- Fixed an issue related to filtering on month or year in BigQuery Standard SQL.
- Fixed two pivot SQL syntax issues, one related to MSSQL and one to Redshift.
- Fixed an issue where the sort indicator on results tables did not always match the sort direction.
- Fixed an issue where Dashboards and their associated Looks could sort results differently.
- Fixed an issue where custom Spaces Access Controls were not being displayed in the modal.
- Fixed an issue where copying a LookML dashboard to Spaces would fail if you did not have the
- Fixed an issue where users with the
see_lookmlcould not see an Explore page’s SQL when in an embed context.
- Fixed an issue where gears were not clickable on mobile browsers.
- Fixed an issue where the IDE displayed the Save button when users were not in development mode.