Issue with the drilling example

Hi guys, I am new to looker and I was reading the documentation by the looker-on the Looker ML. I found an example of drilling as you can see in the picture. Unfortunately, the code given by the Looker doesn’t give the right output(the drilling items) if I click on the count field/measure.
Is it just me or is it actually an error?

you can access the example here:

Getting Started with LookML

This course will enable you to build and maintain standard Looker data models and establish the foundation necessary to learn Looker’s more advanced features.

I should get the order id , inventory id … but all i can see is the first name, last name and other fields that are actually not present in the drilling parameter.

0 1 327
1 REPLY 1

PaulM1

Can you show us the actual LookML from your View and Model?

It is hard to say without seeing the LookML in your Views and Models. But here are a few things to keep in mind.

Given the example:

view: sales_data {

dimension: gross_sales {
    type: number
    sql: ${TABLE}."GROSS_SALES" ;;
  }

measure: count {
    type: count
    drill_fields: [gross_sales, orders.id, inventory_items.product_name, users.id]
  }
}
  • As you can see, ‘gross_sales’ is a Dimension in the current ‘sales_data’ View.
  • ‘orders.id’ is a Dimension from a different View. ‘id’ is the name of the Dimension, and ‘orders’ is the name of the Join in your Model file. NOTE: Anytime you use a dot to reference a Dimension name, you are telling Looker that Dimension is coming in from a different View file.
  • Likewise, ‘inventory_items’ and ‘users’ are also different Views that were Joined in the Model file. And ‘product_name’ and ‘id’ are names of Dimensions in those respective Views.

Example of Model LookML for this:

explore: sales_data {

join: orders {
    relationship: one_to_one
    type: inner
    sql_on: ${sales_data.order_key} = ${orders.order_key} ;;
  }

join: inventory_items {
    relationship: one_to_many
    sql_on: ${sales_data.inventory_key} = ${inventory_items.inventory_key} ;;
  }

join: users {
    relationship: one_to_one
    sql_on: ${sales_data.user_key} = ${users.order_key} ;;
  }

So, if you want Dimensions from other Views to be available, the Views must be Joined similar to this example.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors