Is LookML a Subset of any other format or standard?

I am looking to create a simple script or maybe even CLI tool outside of Looker that accepts JSON documents, and recursively parses their content into boiler plate LookML.

Our use case derives from storing JSON in Snowflake DB Variant data type column. Looker power users are finding it error prone (case-sensitivity, sampling at relevant scale to catch rare fields) to create LookML that exposes the key value pairs within the JSON documents as LookML dimensions, by hand. As more of our data sources evolve in the direction of NoSQL/JSON, this need will become increasingly urgent.

Planning the tool, I’d want to know if LookML is a subset of some other notation standard. For example, LookML looks similar to YANG format (rfc6020), but not quite the same. Knowing the language spec would be vital to implementing the proper marshaling.

Clearly, the standard exists within the Looker ecosystem, as LookML is readily implemented in and validated by the platform. If LookML is not directly compatible with an existing standard, I’m wondering if the definition could be made public so others might develop tooling around it’s syntax, specifically for transforming in-memory representations of LookML structures to valid storable LookML.

Thanks!