Is Counting a Boolean (Yes/No) Measure possible?

kehv1n

Good evening looker fam! ๐Ÿค™ ๐Ÿ„

I am currently trying to find a way to display and visualize the aggregate/total counts of individuals with payments due.

There is a look with column measures that indicate the account balance due for that individual. I simply want a way to visualize the two totals:

• How many individuals have still have dues? (invoice_balance > 0)
  • How many individuals have paid in full? (Invoice_balance = 0) (or even invoice_balance <= 0 since our data is a bit on the wild side ๐ŸŽ)

The look is as follows:

I am not sure if this is a lookerML modeling issue or a visualization issue or both.

The snippet below is from the view that joins to the looker model (invoice ledger) ๐Ÿ™‚

measure: invoice_balance {
    type: sum
    sql: ${TABLE}.AMOUNT ;;
  }

measure: has_dues {
    description: "Does the individual have dues that must be paid?"
    type: yesno
    sql:  ${invoice_balance} > 0;;
  }

I am not able to use a count measure here to count the (Yes/No)'s of has_dues because a measure cannot be based off another measure.

I then tried removing the has_dues field and simply creating a count_distinct with sql: that checks CASE (WHEN invoice_balance > 0) then 1 ELSE 0 . Unfortunately that gave me the same issue as above because I cannot create one measure off the other.

My final attempt was trying to create a table calculation from the front (not lookerML) and that almost worked but I was not able to do the counting with conditionals (count if yes). The calculation would simply count all individuals regardless of yes/no twice for some reasonโ€ฆ

count_distinct(${ar_rct_ledger.invoice_balance})

I am confused and wondering what the best practice for something like this is. Iโ€™d simply like to have to column totals that the user can drill into and see the addends.

Thank you & Cheers ๐Ÿ˜„

0 9 6,679
9 REPLIES 9

I personally wouldnโ€™t be approaching this basing it off the measure. For me, assuming you have a dimension based off ${TABLE}.AMOUNT (letโ€™s call it โ€œamountโ€ for this example), then iโ€™d look at having the following:

dimension: amount {
type: number
value_format_name: gbp (or whichever currency you have)
}

dimension: has_dues {
description: yesno
sql: CASE WHEN ${amount} > 0 THEN true ELSE false END ;;
}

sql: ${amount} ;;
}

measure: invoices_outstanding {
sql: CASE WHEN has_dues = true THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ;;
}

This should basically answer both of your questions by giving you a total number of invoices which still have dues (in this case it is grouped by customer, but then you could use this on a general level to do a count of how many invoices have been paid or are still due by using filters etc). You might want to do it as sum_distinct if you potentially could have duplicate invoice idโ€™s but assuming these are individual then this is the approach Iโ€™d wanna use.

kehv1n

Adam,

Thank you so much for the descriptive reply.I have not considered adding BOTH dimensions + measures. Generally when we are piping a field over from EDW we ask ourselves if that field ie invoice_balance is a measure OR a dimension.

I will reply with the status of the implementation.

Thank you again for your time,

K

kehv1n

The current implementation of the invoice_total, invoice_balance, and invoice_payment fields are as follows:

measure: invoice_total {
        sql: DECODE (${TABLE}.line_ty, 'INVLINE', ${TABLE}.amount, 0);;
  }

measure: invoice_payment {
sql: DECODE (${TABLE}.line_ty, 'PAYMENT',  ${TABLE}.amount
ALLOWANCE', ${TABLE}.amount;;

measure: invoice_balance 

I believe there is a one-to-many relationship between an individual and his invoices. So i may end up converting most of these measure fields to dimensions if that is best practice.

We count booleans (Yes?No) by coercing them to intโ€™s and summing them, which is just a slightly different variation from Adam Stottโ€™s suggestion.

In your case, it would look like:

dimension: amount {
value_format_name: gbp (or whichever currency you have)
}

dimension: has_dues {
sql: ${amount} > 0 ;;
}

sql: ${amount} ;;
}

measure: invoices_outstanding {
sql: ${has_dues}::int ;;
}

We do something similar, but use filtered measures:

dimension: in_service_level {
    sql: ${TABLE}.call_type = 'Inbound' AND (${TABLE}.duration_in_queue <= 20 OR ${TABLE}.duration_in_queue is NULL) ;;
    description: "Inbound-specific calls answered within 20 sec"
  }

measure: num_in_sla {
     type: count
    label: "Number of Calls in SLA"
     filters: {
       field: in_service_level
       value: "yes"
    }
  }

measure: percent_in_sla {
    label: "Percent in SLA"
     sql: ${num_in_sla}::numeric / ${calls} ;;
     description: "Inbound calls answered within 20 sec"
     value_format_name: percent_1
  }

kehv1n

Thank you both @Chris_Zuleeg1and @PatKearns for your descriptive and helpful feedback.

I will be testing both versions of the implementations above Monday (07/22).

Will update everyone with the results.

kehv1n

Hey guys,

So I tried both implementations mentioned above with a filtered measure and just a regular olโ€™ measureโ€ฆ

The issue is that the AMOUNT column in the view is a measure not a dimension like the two implementations.

The reason it is a measure, is because it invoices are complicated and have many line items per 1 invoice.

When I convert my AMOUNT column to a dimension, there is replication (ie Jimmy has dues of 14 for x and 25 for y and 30 for z) etc.

That is why it must be summed up before being taken to the screen (If that makes any sense). Iโ€™m thinking I may have to simply do the summations in the DW before being taken to Lookerโ€™s Views.

Please let me know if anyone can come up with any better ideas but that may be the route to take if notโ€ฆ

Pasting my lookML for reference:

measure: invoice_total {
    sql: DECODE (${TABLE}.line_ty, 'INVLINE', ${TABLE}.amount, 0);;
  }

measure: invoice_payment {
    sql: DECODE (${TABLE}.line_ty,
                       'PAYMENT', ${TABLE}.amount,
                       'ALLOWANCE', ${TABLE}.amount,
                       0) ;;
  }

}

kehv1n

@izzymiller what do you think boss? ๐Ÿ‘€

Love all the ideas and methods in this thread! For your case, Kevin, since the thing you want to filter on is a measure, I think youโ€™re correct in saying that you need to do the summations at an earlier stepโ€” But that doesnโ€™t necessarily need to be in the DW.

You could take this to a Looker derived table, and do your has_dues calculations in the derived table, returning it as a dimension that you can sum/count/filter on.

Using Derived Tables

Define, add persistence, reference, and troubleshoot derived tables.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors