I__looker - monitoring Looker usage

(Richard) #1

Is it possible to get access to the underlying tables used by the i_looker explore?

I’m removing lots of redundant code and cracking down on over-usage of scheduled Looks and would like the flexibility of the raw data.

(Josh Siegel) #2

Hi Richard - If we host your Looker it isn’t possible to have access to the tables but you can explore it via e.g. https://yourlooker.looker.com/explore/i__looker/scheduled_plan.

(Alan Treanor) #3

Can you provide detail on any of the other i_looker explores available? I’d like to see who our top users of Looker are etc

(Zachary Michel) #4

Hey Alan,

We’re working on generating more detailed discourse posts on the available i__looker explores. For now there are a couple resources.

1. This discourse post on the look explore
  2. This doc on the usage panel which also gives a small subset of available explores in the i__looker model

The quick answer to your question is to use the history explore to analyze usage across the instance. The small trick is that each entry in the History table is an indication of a query run by the Looker application and the Query table has entries of distinct queries, i.e. a set of fields, filters, filter values, pivots, and viz options. There is a many_to_one relationship from History to Query.

(Henri Allik) #5

These are the hidden Explores that I am aware of. Simply append the name of the explore to the
URL https://yourlooker.looker.com/explore/i__looker/

history

look

dashboard

user

pdt_log

db_connection

scheduled_plan

event

event_attribute

field_usage

session

user_access_filter

thumbnail_image

space

dashboard_performance

model_look_user_facts

(Jonathan Lu) #6

Is there a hidden explore where I can get essentially the same information as displayed under the Unused Content page? I would like to have an easy way to extract the list of unused contents and their aging to communicate to my users during our quarterly clean-up.

I am referring to https://yourlooker.looker.com/browse/unused

(Ian) #7

+1 on this, i had to catch the sql query in the logs and then edit it to get the content owners email and run it directly on the database.
We have the lookml for ilooker and when I get time I will add model this but its a real pain having to do this on unsupported/not updated lookml since I got a 1 time copy a while ago.
What we really really need is a git repo with this code in or the project with ilooker to be read only and extendable (cross project).

(Spencer White) #8

Hey @jjonak and @IanT,

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, it doesn’t look like the data behind the Unused Content page are exposed in iLooker.

The /look and /dashboard Explores start with the Look and Dashboard tables so they’ll include every table even if it hasn’t been used in the past 90 days.

You can use this along with the History Explore to determine which content hasn’t been used recently.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Spencer

Is there a table, like dashboard and look, that contains all the explores?

I am trying to get a list of all the available explores - including the explore labels - regardless of use/history.

(Peggy Beard) #10

Hello,

Both the /look and /dashboard explores contain the query view, which has an Explore field. That will give you all of the explores which are used in looks and dashboards.

For another approach, there is a nice article describing how to create a data dictionary, which includes how to find all explores using the lookml_models API endpoint.

Peggy

I see the query view in the look explore and can get the explore name - can I get the explore label from somwhere?

I do NOT see the query view in the dashboard explore, nor do I see a way to get the explore for a dashboard using MYSQL iLooker tables. Nor do I see a way to go from dashboard to look.

(Ryan Dunlavy) #12

Hello @sjscigna,

There currently is not a way to connect the query with the explore label, so I’m going to pass that feedback along to the product team. For connecting the query view to the dashboard view, the dashboard explore offers both of these views joined from dashboard to dashboard_layout to dashboard_layout_component, and then to dashboard_element which contains the look and query ID.

In the explore, the dashboard_element view is joined to the look view so the relationship from dashboard to look can be found there. Hope this helps!

Best,
Ryan

(Lewis Osborne) #13

Hey Looker,

To reiterate @IanT comment: Is it possible to make the LookML for i__Looker publicly available?

To me it makes sense given that knowledge of the range of Explores available as part of the i__Looker environment is pretty much now out in the open and knowing the relationships between them is of course super helpful.

Cheers,

Lewis

(Lewis Osborne) #14

Hi Looker,

To reignite OP @Rich1000 comment: getting access to the underlying tables used by the i__looker explore…

any update on this? I assume its an SQL-compliant (MySQL) database. What options are there for retrieving this data (inc. back-dated, beyond prev. 90 days) - API?

Best,

Lewis

(Aleksandrs Vedernikovs) #15

Hi @Lewis_Osborne,

To get access to underlying tables you would need to host your own Looker instance and if the backend is on MySQL then you would be able to access those tables same for Hypersql really. If you want to keep data past 90 days, you would need to make backups every 89 days before it’s getting truncated, elsewhere and store it.

On your question about making Lookml for i__Looker publicly available. This is still currently not possible, however I know the work is being in progress in that direction, but I do not want to run in front of the train. Keep an eye on release notes.

Best,

Sasha

(Lewis Osborne) #16

Thanks @Aleksandrs_Vederniko !