How to Optimize SQL with EXPLAIN

explain
optimize
mysql
sql

(Max Corbin) #1

How EXPLAIN Helps Optimize Queries

This article uses SQL Runner, which is documented here.

Very slow SQL queries are sometimes a fact of life for a database. Possibly the query is running as fast as it can when those queries are transforming a lot of data or are forced to do certain tasks that are hard for SQL query planners to accomplish.

However, sometimes it’s possible to optimize these queries by looking at the steps involved in completing the query and using this information to redesign the query to be faster.

Virtually every SQL dialect has an EXPLAIN command that can be used to display these steps, and this article will give a very brief introduction for how to interpret the results of this command, plus a quick example. Unfortunately, since every dialect has a slightly different implementation of EXPLAIN, they often give different information in different formats, so you’ll want to check out the documentation for your database to find out how to interpret query plans in your dialect.

Example

Here’s an example of using the results from an EXPLAIN to optimize a query in MySQL. Suppose I have a persistent derived table that I’m using to generate company facts for each company in my database. The LookML and SQL used to generate the derived table looks like this:

Note: permalink here is used as an ID for each company or person. It’s only unique in companies.

Old LookML
- view: company_facts

derived_table:
    persist_for: 24 hours

# This derived table is built in MySQL
    sql: |
      SELECT
        companies.permalink AS permalink,
        companies.name AS name,
        acquisition_by.acquisition_count AS acquisition_count,
        acquired.acquired AS acquired,
        acquired.price_amount AS acquisition_price,
        COUNT(DISTINCT investments.investor_permalink) AS investor_count,
        COUNT(DISTINCT investments.funding_id) AS lifetime_funding_rounds,
        SUM(funding.raised_amount) AS lifetime_funding_raised,

-- List of all investors, whether they were a person or a company
        GROUP_CONCAT(
        (CASE
          WHEN investor_people.investor_name IS NOT NULL THEN investor_people.investor_name
          WHEN investor_people.investor_name IS NULL THEN investor_companies.name
        END) SEPARATOR ", ") AS investor_name
      FROM companies

LEFT JOIN funding
      ON companies.permalink = funding.permalink

LEFT JOIN investments
      ON funding.id = investments.funding_id

LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT
          people.permalink AS permalink,
          CONCAT(people.first_name, ' ', people.last_name) AS investor_name
        FROM people) AS investor_people
      ON investments.investor_permalink = investor_people.permalink

LEFT JOIN companies AS investor_companies
      ON investments.investor_permalink = investor_companies.permalink

-- Calculate the number of acquisitions made by each company
      -- Join into main query
      LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT
          acquisitions.acquired_by_permalink,
          acquisitions.price_amount,
          COUNT(*) AS acquisition_count
        FROM acquisitions
        GROUP BY acquisitions.acquired_by_permalink) AS acquisition_by
      ON companies.permalink = acquisition_by.acquired_by_permalink

-- Calculate the number of times a company was acquired (should only ever be equal to or less than 1)
      -- Join into main query
      LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT
          acquisitions.acquired_permalink,
          COUNT(*) AS acquired
        FROM acquisitions
        GROUP BY acquisitions.acquired_permalink) AS acquired
      ON companies.permalink = acquired.acquired_permalink

GROUP BY companies.permalink
New LookML
view: company_facts {
  derived_table: {
    persist_for: "24 hours"
    # This derived table is built in MySQL
    sql: SELECT
        companies.permalink AS permalink,
        companies.name AS name,
        acquisition_by.acquisition_count AS acquisition_count,
        acquired.acquired AS acquired,
        acquired.price_amount AS acquisition_price,
        COUNT(DISTINCT investments.investor_permalink) AS investor_count,
        COUNT(DISTINCT investments.funding_id) AS lifetime_funding_rounds,
        SUM(funding.raised_amount) AS lifetime_funding_raised,

-- List of all investors, whether they were a person or a company
        GROUP_CONCAT(
        (CASE
          WHEN investor_people.investor_name IS NOT NULL THEN investor_people.investor_name
          WHEN investor_people.investor_name IS NULL THEN investor_companies.name
        END) SEPARATOR ", ") AS investor_name
      FROM companies

LEFT JOIN funding
      ON companies.permalink = funding.permalink

LEFT JOIN investments
      ON funding.id = investments.funding_id

LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT
          people.permalink AS permalink,
          CONCAT(people.first_name, ' ', people.last_name) AS investor_name
        FROM people) AS investor_people
      ON investments.investor_permalink = investor_people.permalink

LEFT JOIN companies AS investor_companies
      ON investments.investor_permalink = investor_companies.permalink

-- Calculate the number of acquisitions made by each company
      -- Join into main query
      LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT
          acquisitions.acquired_by_permalink,
          COUNT(*) AS acquisition_count
        FROM acquisitions
        GROUP BY acquisitions.acquired_by_permalink) AS acquisition_by
      ON companies.permalink = acquisition_by.acquired_by_permalink

-- Calculate the number of times a company was acquired (should only ever be equal to or less than 1)
      -- Join into main query
      LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT
          acquisitions.acquired_permalink,
          COUNT(*) AS acquired
        FROM acquisitions
        GROUP BY acquisitions.acquired_permalink) AS acquired
      ON companies.permalink = acquired.acquired_permalink

GROUP BY companies.permalink
       ;;
  }
}

I generated a model for this table, joined it on companies, and tested it out in an Explore. What I expected to be a short-running query never finished, even after waiting 30 minutes.

-- use existing company_facts in crunchtrain_scratch.LR$DB1LLHE8FN9VSAQYNZMIC_company_facts
SELECT 
	companies.name AS `companies.name`,
	company_facts.acquisition_count AS `company_facts.lifetime_acquisitions`,
	company_facts.lifetime_funding_raised AS `company_facts.lifetime_funding_raised`,
	company_facts.lifetime_funding_rounds AS `company_facts.lifetime_funding_rounds`
FROM companies
LEFT JOIN crunchtrain_scratch.LR$DB1LLHE8FN9VSAQYNZMIC_company_facts AS company_facts ON companies.permalink = company_facts.permalink

GROUP BY 1,2,3,4
ORDER BY companies.name 
LIMIT 500

No one wants to have to wait that long for a query — this is 2017 and we expect better. So, we’ll run an EXPLAIN on this query and figure out what is going wrong. Looker provides a very convenient Explain in SQL Runner button under the SQL tab in the Explore.

When we click that button, the query is loaded into SQL Runner inside of an EXPLAIN function. Once we hit Run in the SQL Runner window, Looker displays a short query plan with some key pieces of information:

The Important Bits

• The type column tells us what kind of table scan was done on that step. The key difference in the results is between ALL and index. This tell us that the database is using an index scan to find the rows we care about in companies, but it’s doing a full table scan figuring out what we need out of company_facts, our PDT.

• The rows column tells us how many rows were generated in this step and passed along to the next step as an intermediary result. The key thing to look for here is ‘throw away’ rows—rows that were generated in one step and then ignored in the next step.

• The extra column tells us a little bit about other special conditions that might be at work here. In this case, we see that the table scan on companies used an index and was sorted, but the scan on company_facts didn’t. We also see that a nested loop was used to join this table to companies.

From this information, I’ve surmised that I’m missing an index on my derived table, which might be why this query is running so slowly. Joining without an index is forcing the query to loop over all the possible combinations companies.permalink and company_facts.permalink. We can see this because the query planner told us that it was using a nested loop in the Extra column. Since each step in the query planner takes up 158,772 and 189,108 rows respectively, that means that the database has to compare 158,772 * 189,108 = 30,025,055,376 possible matches. No wonder it never finished!

How to Fix It

Luckily, this is a pretty easy problem to get past. I just need to add an index to my derived table. I can do that like this:

Old LookML
- view: company_facts

derived_table:
    indexes: [permalink]
    persist_for: 1 minute
    sql: |
      SELECT
      etc...
New LookML
view: company_facts {
  derived_table: {
    indexes: ["permalink"]
    persist_for: "1 minute"
    sql: SELECT
      etc...
       ;;
  }
}

Once I do that, I can refresh my Explore, rebuild the derived table, and run again:

Wow. That’s a huge jump in efficiency. What changed?

As expected, the company_facts step in the query plan has changed, and no longer says ALL under type, which means we’ve eliminated the full table scan. But the most important change is in the rows column, where we see that the value for company_facts has dropped from 189,108 to 1. This means that, for each value of permalink, only 158,772 * 1 = 158,772 comparisons need to be performed, which is over 189,108 times fewer comparisons total. Since this is the only really major operation in this query, just adding an index to my PDT made this query faster by a factor of about 189,000.

Other Resources

There are great resources that can guide you through interpreting and using EXPLAIN results. These general resources about using Explain for SQL are typically dialect-specific. Here are a few that I’ve found to be helpful, both in practice and in writing this article:

Also, consider reading these related articles in Looker’s Discourse forum:

Have I made a mistake here? Are there more awesome resources out there for understanding query optimization? Do you know more about EXPLAIN than me and want to lower my self-esteem? Write about it in the comments!

Factors Impacting Query Performance
(Daniel Nelson) #2

Edited to include new LookML