How to change the layering of mixed type visualizations

You can create visualizations with multiple chart types by using Series Types. Read how to use Series Types here.

Changing the Arrangement

When you create a mixed type visualization, the chart types will be arranged by the order their respective measures are displayed in the table. From left-to-right will be top-to-bottom.

For example, this Look displays with the Orders Count columns in the front:

But if I want the Orders First Purchase Count line to appear in front, I can switch the order of the measures like so:

(Benjamin Donsez) #2

Hi,
How can we do the same with calculated metrics?
Thanks,
Ben

Hey Benjamin - it’s not currently possible to reorder table calculations within measures (they will always appear after measures). But I will show this to our product team! If you have multiple table calc columns that you want to re-order, you can do this by changing the order of their definitions in the Edit Table Calculations modal.

(Benjamin Donsez) #4

Thanks Lindsey. That’s the workaround I found: I am creating a calculation for each metric I want to order (ex: Sessions = ${table_name.sessions} ).

As of Looker 3.38, we’ve also added the ability to drag table calculations within themselves, so no need to reorder the calculations in the Table Calculations modal.

(Daan Visker) #6

I would like to see a way to order measures and calculations in a similar way.
Suggestion would be to use the ordering of the measures/calculations at the Y-Axes, such that:
if a calculation is above a measure, but on the same Y-Axes (Say “Left 1”), then the calculation is shown in front of the measure.
(Perhaps a switch to prevent this changing existing ordering ánd interfering with specifically chosen Y-axes set-ups.)

(leticia.esparza) #7

Hey @DaanIF,

I hope all is well! Thanks for providing the helpful feedback. I’ll be sure to relay this to the product team on my end. It sounds like what could be helpful here is rearranging the calculations and measures to adjust for what we would like to see in the visualization.

What we can do to accomplish this is convert the measures into table calculations and hide the original measures from the visualizations so that all of the metrics shown in the vis are now table calculations. Now that they are the same series type, we can rearrange table calculations within the group of table calculations. So we can rearrange the table calc versions of the original measures and the additional table calculations the way we would need to for certain series to be in front of the other in the visualization. I hope this helps!

Best,

Leticia

(Jarno Nousiainen) #8

Hi there,

Anything on this? To be able to reorde calculations within measures?

Br.
Jarno

(gavin.wims) #9

Hi Jarno,

This is not possible yet, but I will let the Product team know that it is something that you would like to see in future.

Best,
Gavin.

(Jordan K) #10

+1 for this feature, power users who leverage table calculations need to be able to properly customize visualizations

(jon.allen) #11

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for letting us know that this would be a useful functionality for your org. I have passed along your feedback to the product team.

In the meanwhile, the process described by Leticia here is currently the best option for building a visualization where table calcs appear to the left of values derived from measures.

Cheers,
Jon