How can we achieve user specific filter?

I have to embed a look using html in a website. I am using Public URL : Embed Visualization to achieve it. However I want a user specific filter on that look.
i.e., For every user, the look should change accordingly

Totally new to embedded looks. Hope someone would be able to answer this question too! Really interested to find out. :slight_smile:

I believe this isn’t possible with Public Looks— If you want to let users filter embedded looks, you have to use either private embedding or our Powered By Looker/SSO embedding

Can you elaborate more on this.

Sure! Public looks are intended to be an easy way to share a quick, intentional snapshot of data, not something to expose to people in a filter-able, customizable way.

If you want to do that, your options are:

Private embedding, which I linked to above— Basically, the opposite of public embedding. This means that everyone viewing the look would need to have a Looker account, and log into it in order to view that Look. It could then reference a user attribute of that user to apply a specific filter.

SSO embedding is a different beast altogether. These users don’t need to have a Looker account, officially— Instead, each time they run the web page, a special URL is run that authenticates them into Looker, generates them an account (with the user attributes you specify in the user-specific URL) and then lets them view the content— So user attribute filtering would still work well.

If you want to do SSO embedding, you should reach out to your Looker account team to chat about it.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining. Really helped alott.:slightly_smiling_face:

I want to do SSO Embedding, can you explain me what are the steps we need to go through?

Step 1, which is a bit lazy on my part, is to reach out to your Looker account team :laughing: . That’s a feature that they have to chat with you about and approve your use of.

After you’ve done that, I’d check this out: https://docs.looker.com/reference/embedding/sso-embed to get a reference of knowledge, and then look at our script examples here: https://github.com/looker/looker_embed_sso_examples.