Hide a Field from a Visualization (3.26+)

(Abby West) #1

As of 3.26, it is now possible to exclude a field that exists in the data table from its corresponding visualization.

##Possible Use Cases
This could be useful in situations where you want to:

• Chart a table calculation, but not the fields that are used to calculate it
  • Make a single value visualization from a table calculation
  • Sort by a field that you don’t want to see in your chart
  • Apply a reference line to a table calculation (if it’s the first series included in the chart)

Feel free to post additional use cases in the comments below!

##How It’s Done

From the data table, simply click the gear button that corresponds to a field, and select “Hide From Visualization.” An eye icon will appear to let you know that the field is hidden.

Then, chart as usual!

Aggregate table for visualisation?
Waterfall Charts
[RETIRED]Creating Reference Lines for Charts through the Visualization Editor (3.18+)
Adding Looks to a Dashboard from the Dashboard (3.22+)
Interactive Map Visualizations (3.34+)
[RETIRED]Creating Reference Lines for Charts through the Visualization Editor (3.18+)
Looker 3.26 Release Notes
(Justin Palmer) #2

Can you do this on cases of a pivoted dimension, eg if max elevation was pivoted by state, could you drop where state is california from the chart?

(Abby West) #3

Hi Justin – right now, no. This feature works at the field - not column - level, meaning to remove CA, you’d have to remove the entire State dimension.

(Arthur Chin) #4

Is it possible to aggregate measures based on only the visible dimensions? For example, my data plane includes start date, end date, number of customers. Start date and end date are used to calculate length of time, which i used in my filter. I’d like to hide end date from my visualization and aggregate number of customers by start date (i.e. one row per start date). Is this possible?

(Ben) #5

If I hide a column from a visualization, is it still possible to include that column in the download? If so, does the “All Results” option have to be available to the user?

(rufus) #6

@Ben_B a column that is hidden from the visualization will still appear in a download of the data if you choose the “As displayed in the data table” option when downloading.

The All Results option can be made unavailable by giving users the download_with_limit permission.

You can read more about both of those options in our docs here: Downloading Data