Dual axes needed for visualization with two measures and pivot

(David Cuozzo) #1

I am using Looker 3.46. I am trying to create a visualization with 2 axes, one for transaction count the other for transaction response time, both charted over time. The data includes a pivot on transaction type which I would like to display as multiple series. However, I am not able to turn off the Combine Axes feature. An informational message is displayed, " Must combine axes when using both pivots and multiple measures" when I examine that setting. As you can imagine, the scales for transaction count and transaction response time are vastly different and make no sense when combined. Is there another way to achieve what I am trying to do or can an enhancement be made to allow multiple axes when there are 2 measures?

I agree that this appears to be an unwarranted restriction. There’s no reason that Looker shouldn’t support what is a trivial and essential feature in other dashboarding and visualization services.

(Jason Scheller) #3

Yea, this is something we run into a lot and would love to see fixed. My users constantly remind me that Tableau can do this but Looker can’t.

(Carter Moar) #4

This is something we’d like to allow, but it’d probably be a few of releases out. I have made sure that folks on our product and engineering teams have eyes on this thread, though.

(nate nate) #5

Hi David, Ross, and Jason

We agree, this restriction can be, well, a bit restrictive. You’ll be happy to hear we’re working on solving this. As Carter said, at the moment we don’t have a detailed timeline as to when it will be resolved, it will likely in the next few months, but I cannot make a promise on a hard release date.

You might be asking “Why the heck does this restriction even exist!?” There is a good reason, actually. For every axis we expose, we need to provide a set of controls specific to that axis. That’s exactly what we’re designing and looking to build. Once that’s in place, we’re planning on making this exact functionality available.

In the meantime, David, one option is to scale your data to be within matching orders of magnitude by either using a table calculation or by creating a new field in your LookML which scales the data properly.

Thanks for all the feedback. Being able to hear about the daily pain points you have helps us prioritize what to work on next, and gets me personally fired up to build a better visualization tool.

Best,
Nate

(Andrew Powell) #6

Hi

Any word on where this is at? How long will it take for the feature to become available? This would be a really useful feature to have for something I’m working on.

Andy

(Zachary Michel) #7

@powellandy We’re expecting this to be ready by 4.8 at the earliest (roughly March if things go as planned)

(Jason) #8

Did this ever get built? I need a dual axis using the same series but just a different scale. I used a pivot so the series is the same. But the data I pivoted has a really different ranges. My columns for one pivot is so small it doesn’t make sense on the same axis. But I only see a way to drag my series from the left Y axis to the right Y axis. I want it in both. @Zam @natenate

(James Nestler) #9

@jgood Hey Jason.

Dual axis visualizations are supported in Looker, however not on pivoted measures. The way to accomplish the outcomes described by the original poster is to create a set of filtered measures and then adjust their axis.

For example in this ecommerce orders dataset, I could pivot my product count by men/women. Attempting it this way, I would not be able to move these pivoted columns into a dual axis format.

If instead I define a new set of measures and give them a filter parameter of men / women, I can then adjust their axis in my visualization settings.

The LookML for this example would look like:

The settings I can now adjust & final product:

(Davis Clark) #10

@jamesnestler

Why is this functionality removed upon hiding the dimension from the visualization, mapping Measure 1 (Count Men) to the visualization’s x-axis, and adding a third Measure to replace what was previously Measure 2 (Count Women)?

:sob: (shameless badge grab)

(bernard.kavanagh) #11

Hi @davisclark,

Thanks for reaching out. I have tested the above locally and the feature is still present even with the dimension hidden. The only thing I can see from your above screenshots is that the question mark for Size Points by Field is on the X tab, rather than the series tab where the option is found.

Could you email a few more details to support@looker.com so we can take a closer look for you to ensure we are not missing anything?

Thanks,
Bernard