Driving data adoption [Win swag!]

Developing an amazing Looker instance and taking the time to build a model is just the first step in empowering your company to make better use of data. Through this new community category, Data Adoption, we want to encourage the sharing of best practices for building a data-driven company culture.

To kick off the discussion, we want to hear from you what steps you’ve taken to drive data usage at your company. Anything goes, from how you train business users to what your documentation system is, and beyond. The top five answers will be rewarded with some cool Looker swag!

4 Likes

@cassidy.kjeldsen - great initiative!

I am happy to kick-off and share two ways in which I raise Looker awareness and adoption within the company:

1. Relay system usage data back to users in Explore models - I do this via ingesting daily Looker usage data into our BigQuery warehouse via Looker schedules and Google Cloud Platform tools. Internals such as team managers can then assess their team’s data queries by volume, frequency, content, etc., and beyond 90 days prior.

2. Biweekly Q&A on Slack - people throw Looker questions at me in a #Looker channel and I answer back, often with additional tips and tricks with direct links to Look reports.

I am looking forward to reading more fab ideas and experiences in raising a better company data culture!

5 Likes

@Lewis_Osborne Thanks for jumping in and starting off the conversation!

I can sure speak to this one!

We’ve been working on our Looker install for about a year, and I’d say the biggest thing for us has been actively holding Looker Tours, which last for about an hour, and are roughly half front-end showing-off along with a sort of internal sales pitch: I liken Looker to having a superpower, where anyone is able to explore our internal data as though they know the sum total of everything each developer knows (which is a lot!) - and then half back-end, here’s how the sausage is made type of thing.

These are live, via Zoom, probably 80% screenshare. I try to be as approachable and conversational as I can be, and welcome any and all questions: I’ve done enough at this point to appreciate the way that a group of marketers will think/approach it differently than a group of developers, but it’s great fun for everyone. We also record many of these and keep them in a shared Google Drive, where folks who are in tough time zones or don’t prefer a live conversation can still benefit.

Our team that focuses on Looker has also started to shift our ongoing Data Request process into Looker: where once we’d run ad-hoc queries and share .csv files, now we model data and produce and share quick Dashboards: the first time someone expects a .csv and gets a full color interactive dashboard with drill fields has been a huge source of a-ha moments for our organization, and almost always leads to later joining a Tour and then becoming an active consumer of Looker reporting.

We also work pretty hard to be super approachable, to answer questions, and to really advocate for the platform: having everyone on-board and also friendly and positive can make a huge difference.

Excited to see what other folks are doing here!

7 Likes

To me, I like to think it’s about authenticity, purpose, and assuring that those who are using the dashboards receive value from them.

Why do we show service plan attachment rates? So that we can show the commissions salespeople can earn if they bump their sales by 5-10%.
Why do we use an item affinity model? So that we can be guided to create item kits that offer greater value to our clients.
Why build customer models? So that we can be an awesome company that shows its care for our clients by reaching out regularly, while making it easier to stay current for our teams.

If we can design authentically with the purpose of making improvements for the users we serve, and meet them not far away from where they’re already working, then we’re doing our part.

Useful Products + Usable Products = Used Products!

2 Likes

I use Looker extensively as part of my work at Moderna, Inc. My team has been using it for one and half years now. It has become indispensable in providing us what we need and more.

Nearly all our applications have dedicated Looker dashboards. These give so much insights and specially the Visualization blocks built by us can be replicated by other teams with little or no modifications.

I have also experimented with LookMl models in order to provide navigation from Looker dashboards to our in-house web applications. And I think I will be using it more going forward as it is very easy to implement and very intuitive too. Our research associates and scientists love these Looker dashboards as they can keep track of all the metrics they need and their data is more organized now. My presentations are also more informative thanks to Looker.

Personally I can say that my switch from Tableau to Looker has been worth it.

2 Likes