Don't want conditional formatting on ALL column grand totals

I have couple of pivot columns and then a total columns
->Pivots: e.g Country A , Country B… &
->Total : All Countries
->each has couple of measures.

I have applied conditional formatting on one measure ‘P’
#1 Issue: In the visualization edit-> series-> formatting rules, I need to select “include totals” only then the conditional formatting applies on that measure ‘P’ in total columns( All countries)
#2 Issue: But it is also getting applied on the ALL column’s( including pivot columns) grand totals too… Why? Any solution?

Thanks
-SS

1 Like

(Max Corbin) #2

@ssoutty68 For now, conditional formatting rules apply to an entire table, instead of certain series or ranges of series. The ability to apply rules to individual series was left out of the first version and Product is considering adding this ability some time soon.

I’ll let them know you ran into this and explain your specific use case. Do you mind if I ask what company you work for so we can let your Customer Success team know if and when this feature gets added?

0 Likes

Can I IM you or something?

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply @maxcorbin. It would good to have basic excel features in Looker ( freezing columns, conditional formatting). How often do you guys make such changes?
-SS

0 Likes

(Max Corbin) #5

@ssoutty68 You can totally IM me, sure thing. Features get added to Looker on a fairly regular basis - our release cycle is only 4 weeks long - but I don’t think we have those particular features on a specific timeline just yet.

0 Likes

We’d also like the ability to conditionally format columns independently from other columns in the table so that we can compare them independently while still looking for at-a-glance correlations between. For example, imagine a column with time spent on a page and a column for number of comments left on that page, with rows for various pages in a site. One might like all this data in a single table to compare the success of various pages. Low to high conditional formatting makes it easier to see trends, but since these metrics are on different scales, you’d want the scales to be applied on a column by column basis rather than low to high across the whole table.

2 Likes

(Dave Hunsinger) #7

Thanks for the suggestion! This is on the Product team radar but I’ll be sure to pass on your feedback.

In the mean time, we do have an example on learn.looker.com using table calculations that you might be able to use for ideas. Hop on chat if you need a Learn account:

https://learn.looker.com/explore/ecommerce/order_items?qid=beDN3KSiLakYV8KGecuiE5&toggle=dat,vis

0 Likes

(Kashif Yamin) #8

would love to see this feature soon!

0 Likes

(Bharat Ayyar) #9

agree that this would be very useful!

0 Likes