Does Looker support using MSSQL for internal database?

low_priority
done
(Greg Bray) #1

We are looking at setting up a local instance of Looker, and I noticed it allows storing the configuration settings in a database instead of on the local file system. We would be interested in using this so we could have a clustered/load balanced setup, but would prefer to use MSSQL instead of MYSQL.

I tried setting LOOKERARGS="--no-ssl --internal-db-creds /home/svc_looker/looker/db.yaml" and using the following:

dialect: mssql
host: SQLHOSTNAME
username: looker
password: password
database: looker
port: 1433

Which appears to have worked to connect to the database and create one table (dbo.SCHEMA_MIGRATIONS) but it then fails to start and displays a missing column error in the logs.

Is MYSQL the only option available for the internal database?

0 Likes

(Zachary Michel) #2

Hey Greg,

The only option for a database outside of the internally housed db (which is HSQL) is on MySQL. It was originally developed to be MySQL compatible, and has not yet been expanded. I’ll let our product team know this would be helpful.

cc: @npickens

0 Likes

(Greg Bray) #3

Thanks for the reply. We use SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups for all our HA applications, so looker internal DB support for MSSQL would be nice.

0 Likes

(Dzmitry Zhemchuhou) #4

Hi Zachary,

Can you add PostgreSQL to the list please?

Thank you,

Dzmitry

0 Likes

(Zachary Michel) #5

Will do, Dzmitry!

0 Likes

(Peter) #6

Hello,

Has Looker expanded db support for internal database to other RDBMS vendors besides MySQL?
If yes, please point me to updated documentation.

Thanks!

0 Likes

(Dave Hunsinger) #7

Hey there!

Looker currently exclusively supports MySQL for the metadata database.

Cheers,
Dave

0 Likes

(Peter) #8

Than you, Dave!

Any specific requirements? Community vs Enterprise? version?
I understand it needs to be 5.7

Thank you!

0 Likes

(Dave Hunsinger) #9

Hey Peter -

MySQL 5.7.x, either Community or Enterprise, will work.

Cheers,
Dave

0 Likes

(Rafael) #10

Is PostgreSQL integration available for this request yet?

0 Likes

(Izzy) #12

Nope, we still only support MySQL. We don’t currently have any plans to open this up to other dialects, but I’m interested to hear why you’d be interested in swapping. If you open a new topic in the feature requests section: https://discourse.looker.com/c/feature-requests and give some context there, it can be voted on and will get tracked internally.

0 Likes