In Looker 6.0, the visualization system for Cartesian (bar, column, line, area, and scatter) visualizations has changed.
Turning on the Legacy Visualizations legacy feature instructs Looker to use the old visualization system. By default, this legacy feature is off, and it will be removed in Looker 6.6.
If you previously enabled the Enhanced Visualizations Labs feature, you already enabled the new visualization system.
Old Behavior (Legacy Visualizations on)
No change to appearance or behavior of Cartesian charts.
New Behavior (Legacy Visualizations off)
Cartesian charts have these additional features:
- You can now select point shapes for line, area, and scatter charts.
- You can now size points by field and plot the size-by field for scatter charts.
- You can now create stacked charts with multiple visualization types.
- Automatic series layering is improved for mixed series charts: lines in front, then area, then column or bar, then scatter.
- There are minor changes to how you format certain time values.
- Chart legend shapes now reflect the visualization type for each series (for example, a short line will appear for a line series).
Cartesian charts no longer offer the following:
- You can no longer focus lines on hover for line or area charts.
- You can no longer order series by size for bar or column charts.
- You can no longer adjust the value density of labels, because Looker adjusts the density automatically.