Summary of Role
As a Database Analyst, you will be diving into our incoming data streams, crafting structured schema, and become an expert on curating the right data to impact decisions across the company. You’ll play a pivotal role in establishing our global center of excellence for business intelligence and analytics.
The ideal candidate is technically minded, curious, and meticulous. When you join, your first responsibility will be to help us finish the implementation of Looker, our business intelligence tool. This will be a great opportunity to learn by doing. You’ll also own the administration of our Google BigQuery instance and become the primary point of contact for our ETL pipeline.
We’re working with new technologies and while we don’t expect you to be an expert, we want you to come with a point of view on how data should be organized and an openness to consider other points of views.
As we’re building this team, sometimes priorities change, sometimes data is messy, and sometimes the answers are hard to find. These things should inspire you to do your best work.
- Support and manage the architecture of the data model used daily by analysts and business stakeholders
- Support our strong relationships with cross-functional teams by understanding their data needs and modeling ad hoc data sets
- Proficiently transform and model our data using SQL
- Administer our Google BigQuery project and be the point of contact for the pipeline from Google BigQuery through Looker
- Improve data quality by consulting with developers and operations
- Willingness to learn new technologies and languages (including BigQuery standard SQL and LookML)
- Some experience with technical stacks that include: data/database concepts, data warehousing, and BI tools. Looker experience is a bonus, but this includes others like Tableau, Spotfire, and Qlik
- Able to communicate complex technical topics with ease (both written and oral)
- Aptitude and interest in working with complex situations/problems, systems, and processes
- Demonstrated commitment to teamwork and customer service
- Ability to share knowledge on the use of data and tools
- B.S. in a computer science, management information systems, or other technical fields—however, liberal art majors with a strong quantitative background and SQL experience are encouraged to apply
- Significant SQL experience
- Familiarity with ETL tools (such as Workato or Informatica), experience performing ETL with SQL, data cleansing, and extracting.
- Understanding of data pipelines and structured databases - there’s no need to pipeline, but it will help you understand our data infrastructure quickly
- Development experience on ETL tooling in a scripting language (Python preferred)
- Experience automating queues and SLAs for data pipelines
- Project management skills
- Prior experience with agile methodology
Click here to apply.
Working for Puppet
Puppet is leading the movement that will define the next decade of software.
Today it’s characterized by the general realization that for companies to remain relevant, they have to constantly provide great software to their users.
Tomorrow it’s defined by a world of frictionless software change – where any company can deliver a better experience to their users, at any moment.
We’re building a world of unconstrained software change. Where the software that powers everything around us is always available, is constantly modern, and accessible from anywhere
The company is growing fast and we're determined for everyone here to have a real impact on the company and our customers every day. We're driven and restless. We encourage creativity and collaboration. By challenging each other, we foster continuous improvement.
Here at Puppet, our values are our "culture code" and guide all that we do. They embody who we are as a team, as a community, and as a business. That’s why we hire carefully for individuals who clearly represent our company values. That means being connected to the communities we serve (around the globe and online), having an understanding that candid conversations can drive innovation, those who know how to ask themselves the right questions to drive customer benefit, and those who understand that the many people, perspectives and places that makeup our company are key to our success.
Puppet offers excellent health benefits for employees and family, a flexible time-off policy (that we do insist you use), and a variety of methods to grow your skills and further your career. We have employees all around the US, the UK, Sweden, Canada, the Czech Republic and Australia. Our headquarters in downtown Portland, Oregon, is one block off Tom McCall Waterfront Park with views of Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens and the Willamette River.
More than 30,000 companies — including more than two thirds of the Fortune 100 — use Puppet’s open source and commercial solutions to achieve situational awareness and drive software change with confidence. We power companies including Twitter, Yelp, Disney, Google, Citrix, eBay, NYSE, Cisco WebEx, Salesforce, Bank of America and PayPal.
Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, VMware, Google Ventures, Cisco, True Ventures, Radar Partners, and Emerson Street Partners.
Puppet is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact +1-877-575-9775 for assistance.