Dangerous bug: Schedules don't respect "require a filter value" filter

er1k
Participant V

We have a dashboard that requires a filter value on one field.

When the user starts to make a schedule for this dashboard then this filter is not necessary.

This creates a risk that the user might create a schedule report with a filter that isn’t allowed on the dashboard.

0 5 169
5 REPLIES 5

Reproduced this one, this does seem like a reasonably large issue. Though I don’t think you should be controlling access to data using dashboard filters that “Require a filter value to run”, since that does not restrict a user from exploring the data at will, and in no way removes their ability/permissions to see the underlying data.

Secure data should be kept private using model-level restrictions. I’d just like to emphasize the fact that I would not consider this any kind of data breach or pipeline to unauthorized data access, given our best practices.
That said, this is a case of the product allowing something that it says it will not allow— Which is no good. I’ll get this filed and will update here. Thanks for letting us know.

er1k
Participant V

Yeah, we have other control methods you listed also in use. This one works as an additional layer on top but scary that it still allows this “is Any” filter here.

Thanks for flagging, we’ve got a issue open with our Engineering team to look into this

It looks like this is expected behaviour. The schedule should send but because of the require filter no data is shown. Thanks for the feedback this as something to consider for dashboards next scheduler modal.

er1k
Participant V

Actually in our case the filter value was required but schedule went through with “is equal to any” and it contained data.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors