Custom Looker Home Page - Labs Feature

Note: this is a Labs feature and is subject to change and very possibly removal. Please contact your account manager or help.looker.com if you would like this feature enabled on your instance.

The custom Looker Home Page is a way to display an editable document, Looker dashboard, or any other Looker URL that shows up as the landing page to your instance, where you can put any information you’d like and potentially direct your users on which explores, looks and dashboards to use.

Clicking on the logo in the top left of your instance will direct users back to your custom home page, when enabled, otherwise they will land on the default Looker home page.

Home Page using a markdown file:

When creating a markdown landing page in your Looker, first create a new lookml document file in your developer mode by clicking the + icon in LookML developer mode:

If you’d like to download a markdown text editor we happen to like Mou around the Looker office. You can review markdown syntax here.

Save the new file with your markdown source code. After it’s been saved you’ll want to set the custom home page URL in the Admin section of Looker Labs. The URL will take the form /stories/[project_name]/[documentation_name].md.

So for example, if your documentation URL is https://learnbeta.looker.com/projects/lookml_design_patterns/files/000_index.md the home page URL should be set as /stories/lookml_design_patterns/000_index.md.

Click the update button for the new home page to take effect!

If you’re looking for inspiration, try using the template below:

# [Company Name] Analytics Home Page
Click on the [_looker_](https://[customer_looker_url) logo in the upper left corner at any time to return to this page
​
---
​
## Welcome!
​
If you are new to the Looker data exploration platform or would like training on how to explore, visualize and share date with Looker, please send an email to <help.looker.com> for access to the training ground at learn.looker.com.
​
Thanks!
​
---
​
## [Example dashboard link]([link to dashboard])
### Check out this dashboard to see our KPIs, it's a great place to get a pulse of the business!
---
​
### Featured Dashboards and reports 
​
[Dashboard 1](link to Dashboard) | [Dashboard 2](link to Dashboard) | [Dashboard 3](link to Dashboard)
-- | -- | --
[Look 1](link to Look)  | [[Look 1](link to Look)   | [Look 1](link to Look) 
[Look 1](link to Look)  | [Look 1](link to Look)  | [Look 1](link to Look) 
​
​
---
​
### Department 1
​
[Space 1](link to Space) | [Space 2](link to Space)| [Space 3](link to Space) 
-- | -- | -- |
​
​
---
​
### Department 2
​
[Space 1](link to Space) | [Space 2](link to Space)| [Space 3](link to Space)
-- | -- | -- |
​
___
​
### Looker Help and Contacts
- Admin - name@email.com
- LookML help - name@email.com
- Slack, Hipchat, or email listserv - #channel, room_name, looker@company.com

This template would result in a home page experience that looks like this (zoomed out so the entire page is visible):

Home Page using a Looker dashboard:

You can also direct your users to a specific dashboard as their landing page.

To leverage a user defined dashboard (UDD), input the dashboard url (minus the host URL) into the Home Page box in the Labs section eg: /dashboards/123

To leverage a LookML dashboard, input the dashboard url (minus the host URL) into the Home Page box in this format: /dashboards/[model_name]::[dashboard_name]

Then hit update for the new home page to take effect.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

Is there any way to have a user automatically be directed to a page as their starting page, either by userid or by group or role?

1 Like

@Rick_Saporta, you can define only one landing page that everyone reaches. This is a neat idea though; we’ll pass it along to our product team!

Is this available for self-hosted customers? We just upgraded to version 3.48.7, but I don’t see any “Home Page” option in Admin -> Labs. Thanks!

@Joe_Schmid, Yes, we can enable this license feature for your instance and then it will appear in the Admin panel after you hit ‘Update’ next to your license key in the ‘General’ section. I will shoot you a note when it has been enabled (tomorrow).

1 Like

Has this feature been retired?

I know that a new home page feature is available in labs as of Looker 5.0, but I am late to the party and prefer this version where we have more control over the content of the home page.

My team uses LookML dashboards for our curated content, and some saved looks for more specific one-off requests for emailed lists, etc. so while LookML content is still hidden from favorites/most popular, the new home page would actually emphasize the wrong content. I’d love to see this option re-enabled where we can point to a single page, markdown or otherwise, to serve as the landing page.

Hi @TimothyBurke -

We’re not retiring this page just yet, so you’re still able it to curate a homepage for the time being. However, we do have plans to incorporate the functionality that you have here into the new homepage. Our goal for the new page is to have components that can be controlled by an administrator or someone with Edit rights to the page, but that the whole page doesn’t require manual upkeep to stay up to date.

When it comes to LookML Dashboards, we’re working to make sure they can be used in the content system by allowing them to be imported to Spaces, while retaining a link to the LookML file that powers them. More detail on how we’re getting there can be had in this post.

Once we have the curatable section for the homepage, you’ll be able to directly reference LookML Dashboards there until the time that they’re just available on the main page of the new homepage.

Hope that helps clarify things!

1 Like

Has this feature been released and is available to be used by now? I am sorry, I don’t know if there is any other way to know about it. Thanks,

Hi @vksingh,

The markdown-based custom home page is still available. It will need to be enabled in the Admin --> Labs page of your Looker instance. If you are referring to the new custom homepage feature (documented here, this feature is available in version 5.0+. If you would like this new custom homepage feature enabled on your instance, please visit us at help.looker.com and we can get the ball rolling for you .

Thanks!

Quinn

Thanks Quinn! I think that our lead will reach out to support as and when he deems fit. I have communicated to him. Thanks again,

Is it possible to reference user attributes in the Custom Home Page?

I’m experimenting with various syntaxes but haven’t had any luck.

Thank you!

This doesn’t seem possible since the custom home page is a simple markdown document, which doesn’t go through any of the LookML background parsing + content creation that lets you use cool things like user attributes.

You could definitely whip up a “Custom Home Page” dashboard with some fancy HTML that could leverage user attributes and still look like a home page, but at the end of the day it would still be a Dashboard, not a document. If you want to go down that route, I can provide some pointers on relevant HTML!

This would be very cool if someone shared a “homepage” dashboard they have made leveraging info from iLooker.

1 Like

I’m with @TimothyBurke here, @abbywest. While the personalized home page with curated admin content sounds fine, we really like the ability to use the Markdown-based home page (and other Markdown-based pages) for more control over what’s presented to our users.

We use a document structure and navigation much like @haleyb discussed recently in her Discourse article.

It would be great to see the Markdown-based pages functionality made permanent.

@izzy I’m interested in this, can you provide some pointers on how to implement? Thanks so much!

I may have been bluffing a bit :laughing: but I can give some pointers. Basically, since you can use user attributes to feed liquid HTML (https://docs.looker.com/reference/liquid-variables), you can create a complex series of tiles that use <detail> or <summary>tags to create dropdowns and such with information fed from other fields — Referenced via the {{view_name.field_name._value}} syntax.

Is that enough to get you started? I can try and mock up an example, but it might be pretty ugly.

Here’s the POC solution I came up with to create a different home page based on user attribute values. It’s intended as a skeleton that I’ll fill in later as we decide how the two different home pages will look.

I created a new view _test_home_page that has a single field:

measure: _html {
    sql: 1 ;;
    html: <div>
            {% if _user_attributes['foo'] == 'bar' %}
              bar
            {% elsif _user_attributes['foo'] != 'bar' %}
              not bar!
            {% endif %}
          </div>;;
  }

Then I just present this field in a single-value dashboard tile, enlarged to fill the entire screen. From brief testing it appears that I can use the usual HTML tags, presumably all the ones listed here. I’ve tested it on our instance and it works, showing “bar” for users with user attribute foo set to bar, and “not bar!” otherwise.

Thought I’d share for your and others’ benefit!

3 Likes

Beautiful! That’s exactly what I meant— You can use a pretty fair amount of html tags in that parameter, so you could get as fancy with it as you’d like. Nice job, and thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank YOU for the suggestion! :smiley:

Anybody got anything nice they wish to share/give away? I am just about to start designing a home[dashboard]page consisting mostly of space links and content links but also thinking about leveraging user attributes to show more tailored stuff like mentioned above. We also have a copy of ilooker model so I can build in usage metrics from history.

2 Likes