COVID-19 Real Time Updates on Embedded Dashboard [Example of Powered by Looker]

Ruth_O

The team at CIS Consulting created a dashboard tracking the global cases of COVID-19, a good example of how to integrate Looker within a website or application: View web page here

The project:

1. To retrieve live data from a constantly updating web source, we used a technique called web scraping i.e. running a Python script that pulls the data every minute and writes it to the database.

2. After connecting our Looker instance to our Postgres database, the data was then modelled using LookML. We then created the Looks to be added to a user-friendly dashboard.

3. By using the public embed URLs, we were able to easily add the visualizations to a free web page hosted on AmazonAWS.

Within a day we were able to make an end to end solution, with real time analytics, allowing visitors to stay up-to-date with the current outbreak.

7 2 653
2 REPLIES 2

❤ so cool! I’m chuffed to see Looker being used in this way and appreciate you showing the stack too.

Would love to see some drills added so I can really dive into the data 😉

Also if there were one of those “flatten the curve” graphs of new cases per day and cumulative cases, I’d be refreshing like a madman.

Love this, thank you for sharing.

Greenwich Analytica has launched a new Summary Dashboard for CT using the new COVID-19 Data Block. You can check it out here: https://bit.ly/2KDTD37

We were up & running in minutes with just a few clicks!