These instructions let you take a pre-built LookML project shared publicly on GitHub, move a personal copy of the project into your own GitHub repository, and load it into your Looker instance.
1) A GitHub account
2) A Looker account with developer or admin privileges
1) In a web browser, navigate to the GitHub page for the publicly available LookML repo
2) Create a fork of the directory within a separate repository that you own
3) Copy the SSH Clone URL for the new repository
4) Log in to Looker, and navigate to “LookML” -> “Manage Projects”
5) Create a new LookML Project
6) Name your project, and create un-check the “Generate Model & Views” before creating it
7) Click the “Configure Git” button in your new project
8) Paste in the repository URL you copied from GitHub and click Continue
9) Copy the Deploy Key provided by Looker
10) In a separate tab/window, navigate back to the github.com page for your new repository, navigate to “Settings” -> “Deploy Keys”, and click “Add Deploy Key”
11) Paste in the deploy key provided by Looker, check the “Allow Write Access” box, and click “Add Key”
12) If prompted, enter your GitHub password
13) Back in Looker, click “Continue Setup”
14) Click “Sync Developer Mode,” to pull the existing model files from github into your Looker instance. Additionally, hold shift and click the arrow next to "Up to date with production", and click "Deploy to production" , this will ensure production is up to date with master.
15) If necessary, change the name of the database connection in the model file to the database connection name in Looker.
You can find the database connection name in Admin -> Connections in you Looker instance. The name of the connection in the LookML project is located in the model file. Just edit if you need to change it.
16) Once you've successfully add the project with the correct database connection name, configure the project by going to LookML -> Manage Projects.
17) Click "Edit Configuration" next to the project you just added.
18) Make sure the correct database connection is selected and then click Save.