Converting "Hours of Day" to 12-hour system

Hello fellow Lookers,

I am facing an interesting challenge: I created a heatmap of production data and want to convert “Hour of Day” from 24-hour into the 12-hour time system.

You can see in the image above that the “Hour of Day” from dimension_group type: time is formatted as the 24-hour clock. I would like to see this in the 12-hour AM/PM format.

I tried creating a new dimension with custom HTML formatting options, but it does not work properly.

dimension: hour_of_day_formatted {
group_label: “Finished Date” label: “Finished Hour of Day (12)”
sql: ${TABLE}.FinishedDatetime ;;
html: {{ rendered_value | date: “%I %p” }};;
}

The formatting is correct, but since my input is every date value, I have a fanout of rows as you can see below.

I tried using Hours of Day as input to conversion, which fixes the fanout, but then the formatting no longer works.

dimension: finished_datetime_hour_of_day_formatted {
group_label: “Finished Date” label: “Finished Hour of Day (12)”
sql: ${finished_datetime_hour_of_day} ;;
html: {{ rendered_value | date: “%I %p” }};;
}

Ideally, this would be handled automatically based on the Locale or Timezone settings of the user.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Documentation generally revolves around converting date-time to a different timezone, which Looker handles automatically, but sadly it does not handle formatting in the same way. I have tried changing my Locale or Timezone, but it does not have any effect on the formatting of time or dates.

Thank you for any and all comments!

0 2 3,086
2 REPLIES 2

LB09

@blue1 - have you tried the below?
to_char(${finished_hour_of_day}, 'HH12 AM')

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your idea!

Unfortunately, to_char() does not work for me (I am on Microsoft Server 2016+), however, it did send me down the right path.

The challenge was to convert the input of “Hours per Day” (Integer) into DateTime so I could use FORMAT() to convert the clock.

FORMAT( CAST( CONVERT( CHAR(5), DATEADD(MINUTE, 60*${finished_hour_of_day}, 0), 108 ) AS DATETIME ), ‘hh:mm tt’ )

First, I convert the integer into time using CONVERT(), then I cast that Time as Datetime using CAST(), and finally, I reformat it to AM/PM using FORMAT().

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 14.46.03
Some problems still remain, for example, as you can see above, the sorting does not work properly. I can fix this by including the “Hour of Day” as a hidden dimension and sorting on that instead.

That brings my second issue, Looker no longer fills missing dates when I add the formatted hour dimension to the query.

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 14.51.23

Thanks again for your input, Lauren!

I really wish Looker would handle date formatting and hour formatting based on timezone or locale settings.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors