Cascading Filters using LookML?

(Ryan) #1

Is there any way to add a cascading effect for filters in LookML? I have seen previous posts from a few years ago and the syntax is not working for me.

For example if I have filters Car Make and Car Model and I select a Make, then in the Model filter only the car models for the selected car make should appear.

(noah.kawasaki) #2

Hi Ryan,

Yes, we can do this with Looker. If the underlying tables have one row for each car model, filtering on car make should only return the rows of cars that meet that car make filter condition. Without being able to see exactly how your data is structured, it is a little difficult to help.

You can reach out to us at support@looker.com, or on chat, and we would be more than happy to work through this with you!

Noah

(Ryan) #3

Hi Noah - I am referring to the values that appear in the filter drop downs. By default, they do not cascade, is there a way to give cascading functionality within LookML?

Example: I select “BMW” as Car Make, click RUN, then click into the Car Model filter but still see all possible models regardless of Car Make. I would like to ONLY see BMW Car Models in the dropdown:

(molly.lippsett) #4

Hi Ryan,

We can do this with faceted filters in dashboards: https://docs.looker.com/dashboards/adding-filters-to-user-dashboards#faceted-filters

We’ll just use the dashboard filter of type “Field”

Best,
Molly