Can you send/schedule new dashboards beta?

Can’t really switch over to the new dashboards if I can’t run scheduled sends

4 11 211
11 REPLIES 11

We’re working on that one. Here’s a list of all the features that are planned but currently not available in Dashboards beta:

Dashboards (Beta) versus Original Dashboards

In Looker 6.24, we've introduced dashboards (beta), which have a fresh, modern look and feel; customizable, user-friendly filters; a new dashboard creation experience and editing flow; and much-imp...

You can set up a schedule from the original dashboard (just at the /dashboards URL instead of /dashboards-next) and then just browse the beta one in the UI. The sent file will not look like a beta dashboard, but it will schedule as expected.

I agree with @Ben_Zitney that adding native send/schedule functionality to Dashboard (Beta) is a high-priority need to enable user adoption. (It’s difficult to convince impatient users to do even relatively simple workarounds such as the one @izzymiller rightly suggests.) At a minimum, the new functionality should allow users to send/schedule using the legacy dashboard format.

Just for some more context, probably 75% of our reporting is consumed through PDF dashboards, whether it be through posting to a slack channel or being sent out company-wide through email. Our users love being able to get PDF versions of the dashboards emailed to them so they get their content passively rather than actively. (It’s actually one of the main aspects we point to when we’re trying to flex on the PowerBI evangelists & is also one of the features that gets the most praise from people in our organization who switch over to Looker from PowerBI.)

Just wanted to add that additional context to convey the importance of building scheduled sends using the dashboard-next style

That’s excellent context from both of you, thank you. It’s been passed on to the folks working on dashboards 🙇.

We don’t yet have a public-facing release number for send/schedule functionality but it should be coming in the next couple of releases.

Agree with all of the above.
I LOVE the new dashboards - particularly the new filters and their customizability (if that’s a word) - but sadly I won’t be able to have them be client facing until they have scheduling.

Also - not to hijack this thread but I noticed I couldn’t download results from a drilldown, which is a handy feature for our clients (I only saw the option to ‘explore’, which our users won’t have permissions for). And I didn’t see it in the link you sent @izzymiller. Is this being considered?

Anyway, for now I will just have to admire the new dashboards in my own personal space 😆

Kyle, I think I replied to this but it was lost in the rollback last week.

We are going to be adding that functionality, it’s not currently on that page but is tracked internally and on the schedule.

To follow up on @Will_Leone’s comment, it seems like you can revert to the legacy format and set up a schedule and get the content in that format. Then you can go back to the new format to view your dashboard within Looker. That’s my current workaround, but I definitely agree that this should be a high priority update.

Piling on here. We also love the new dashboard look and feel. It’s clean, solves many formatting issues, and doesn’t “explode” the layout when you move a tile.

That said, 95% of the time the dashboard is consumed as an email visualization - checking them has become a morning routine for a good chunk of the company.

Any updates for when we can expect to be able schedule the new look? 🙂

There’s work being done right now for foundational things that will enable send/schedule functionality, but I don’t think it will be actually available for a few months yet.

PS: I KNOW! This is the best part for me. Sometimes I just fling tiles around on dashboards to watch things neatly rearrange.

Okay, appreciate the update.

Top Labels in this Space