[Blocks] Template

(Dillon Morrison) #1

Make a new Discourse post with the information below.

(1) What is this Block and what does it tell me?

This section should include general information about the Block and it’s uses. It should clearly answer the questions “What can you answer with this Block? Why is it valuable to me?”. This should be a compelling section, which clearly outlines the types of analysis that can be offered and the types of questions that can be answered. It should clearly convey the value customers can get from the Block immediately.

(2) Ideal Data Types

This section includes information around the types of data that this Block works with, and the tools that would export this data. Try to make this easy for any user to understand. If it’s an event data pattern, mention that it’ll work with event data, segment, snowplow, Google Analytics, etc… Mention common verticals that would employ this pattern. You want it to be easy for a user to see the value in the block above, then look down and go “hey, I have data like that / I use those tools or something similar / I sit in that vertical”.

(3) Expected Output

Give a strong, easily understandable example, reinforcing the value of analysis. We want the examples to follow a smooth narrative, but try to put something nice and attention grabbing up top. For more complicated patterns, explain how to use the example we’re showing the customer. You should also explain how to interpret the results when necessary. Give a concrete example to illustrate your point. This section should include screen shots and links to the associated models in the blocks.looker.com instance.

(4) Try it yourself!

This section includes all relevant technical information. such as the dialects the pattern is compatible with, the structure of the tables required to construct the pattern, and other information that would be critical for a customer to understand when attempting to implement this pattern. Most importantly, be sure to explain the logic behind the dimensions/measures/tables that you’re creating. The goal is to help the user understand the concepts and logic behind the design pattern, which is more effective than following step-by-step instructions.

Please Note: You’ll notice that some Blocks contain live Looker Explores (such as “Retention Analysis”), while others only contain static screenshots of the Analysis (such as “Redshift Admin”). You should only worry about static screenshots. A Looker Analyst may create a live Explore if we have data to support the pattern.

(5) Further Analysis

This is a section to include ideas and/or resources for further analysis. It’s optional.